Spoke for AC 420

Piki

During this Morning ride, my front wheel spoke snapped !

Where in Jhb. I can get new ones ?

My wheels are four years old. Shall I think of replacing all spokes in front and rear wheel.

American Classic wheels use standard J-bend spokes. The brand of the replacement spoke is irrelevant.

However, AC wheels use proprietary nipples that require the spokes to be 3mm longer than what the hub/rim measurements would suggest. Keep this in mind when making the repairs.

You don't say how much distance the wheels have on them but a single spoke breaking isn't a catastrophe. Replace that spoke and watch the wheel. If more spokes break at the same place, consider respoking the wheel.

Thanks for informations !

Wheels must be 15-20000km old.

So where about in Jhb will be easiest to get black and bladed spokes ?

Thanks for informations !

Wheels must be 15-20000km old.

So where about in Jhb will be easiest to get black and bladed spokes ?

Nowhere. You cannot find a source of black bladed spokes in South Africa. One supplier has a couple of BBs in stock but almost certainly not the length that you require. On top of that, expect to pay about R40 to R60 per spoke if you can find it.

I suggest you go black round - Revolution if you want something fancy. There is no case to be made for bladed spokes on a MTB wheel.

Last week Monday Tuesday i was packing my trailor in Cpt to return home as i put my AC 420 along side the frame(took the wheels off to lay bike and wheels inside the trailor)1 spoke broke with a loud snapping sound(almost like a gunshot).Ok was kinda shocked.Upon arriving home when i took the said wheel out i discovered a 2nd broken spoke.

I have ordered spokes from my local bike shope plus a few extra.

But need i be worried Johan or was it just a freak occurence?

Nowhere. You cannot find a source of black bladed spokes in South Africa. One supplier has a couple of BBs in stock but almost certainly not the length that you require. On top of that, expect to pay about R40 to R60 per spoke if you can find it.

I suggest you go black round - Revolution if you want something fancy. There is no case to be made for bladed spokes on a MTB wheel.

Who said anything about MTB wheels ?

420's are road wheels.

Last week Monday Tuesday i was packing my trailor in Cpt to return home as i put my AC 420 along side the frame(took the wheels off to lay bike and wheels inside the trailor)1 spoke broke with a loud snapping sound(almost like a gunshot).Ok was kinda shocked.Upon arriving home when i took the said wheel out i discovered a 2nd broken spoke.

I have ordered spokes from my local bike shope plus a few extra.

But need i be worried Johan or was it just a freak occurence?

It wasn't a freak occurence. Spokes break from metal fatigue (unless in a stick-in-the-spoke accident). A crack starts at a stress riser, which could be a nick, a thread or the bend and starts to travel through the spoke with time. It doesn't happen instantaneously. Once the crack has propagated through the spoke to such an extent that the remaining bit of spoke cannot take the tension anymore, the last bit breaks in tension with a sudden failure as you observed.

The fact that two spokes have now broken means that it wasn't a once-off break due to a defect or scratch on the spoke. All the spokes are fatigued and they will break one after the other.

The best solution is to respoke the wheel. If the spokes broke at the rim, it can be prevented by clever wheelbuilding the second time around. If it broke at the hub, it can also be prevented, through stress relieving after the build.

Consider having it rebuilt soon. In the meantime, keep a spare spoke or two with you and learn how to replace a spoke.

I have bladed AC420 spokes for sale. They come in a pack incl. Front wheel, Rear wheel Drive Side and Non Drive Side.

Pm me if you want them

Johan the first spoke broke +/- 2 inches from the rim.The 2nd spoke broke on the hub side(on the bend of the hook).If i look at the spoke you can clearly see 2 different colours.Dark colour is the old crack and the shiny bit is the new crack.Both spokes are next to each.

Johan the first spoke broke +/- 2 inches from the rim.The 2nd spoke broke on the hub side(on the bend of the hook).If i look at the spoke you can clearly see 2 different colours.Dark colour is the old crack and the shiny bit is the new crack.Both spokes are next to each.

I recon it is time to respoke.

Any HELP ?

Piki, I don't understand you. SCS has offered you the right spokes. In the past I've supplied you with nipples for either that, or a different AC wheel. You know where to get help yet you still ask?

Hi Johan !

Thanks for comment !

I did reply straight to CSC, so far I had NO answer ?

I like my wheels and I like to ride AC's.

I hope to get spokes from Cape Town AC distributor.

I never used The spoke nipples, you kindly left at reception ( That particular wheel, AC 350-sprint, collapsed before I had chance to replace nipples ).

Lastly, I still owe to you for nipples.

Regards, Piki !

Hi Johan !

Thanks for comment !

I did reply straight to CSC, so far I had NO answer ?

I like my wheels and I like to ride AC's.

I hope to get spokes from Cape Town AC distributor.

I never used The spoke nipples, you kindly left at reception ( That particular wheel, AC 350-sprint, collapsed before I had chance to replace nipples ).

Lastly, I still owe to you for nipples.

Regards, Piki !

PIKI, get the wheels to me and I'll sort them out for you. I'll even get the spokes from SCC for you from Cape Town. This needn't be a saga.

Piki,

I replied to your sms! Said I had three spokes available, past that it's up to you.

I can't fly them to Botswana!

Cheers