maintaining a tubeless wheelset

Palaeodom

Just running in my new wheelset, a set of American Classic MTB26. and was thinking i should probably learn a little about how to maintain them.

So I thought i'd ask you lot what i should know and tools i should buy to keep them running fast.

for instance...

Spokes? do i need a tesnioner jobbie and what kind of tension should they be at? Do you only adjust the red one?

geez at far as i know wheelbuilding is not so easy. It only costs about R50 to get wheels trued so rather do that than syuff up your wheels if you dont know what u doing. Or u could always go on 1 of JBs courses in wheelbuilding. Check out www.yellowsaddle.co.za

leave the spokes unless you buckle the wheel or it goes out of true.

just replace the stans/no flats every few (6) months - it dries up/becomes thick and does not seal so lekker.

depending on riding conditions you will have to have your hubs/freehub cleaned

Right so the idea is to leave them alone unless they obviously need some attention. clean them and service them regularly and they'll be sweet as a nut. Thats good news...there's enough stuff to think about maintaining without the wheels on top.

I have the same wheelset. After muddy rides, I check/clean the bearings front and rear.

Rear wheel I also check the cassette (remove it/clean it) as well as the free hub body - Clean it/grease it if needed. Simple and fast.

I have the same wheelset. After muddy rides, I check/clean the bearings front and rear.

Rear wheel I also check the cassette (remove it/clean it) as well as the free hub body - Clean it/grease it if needed. Simple and fast.

Don't know how to do that yet...how did you find out and what tools did you need to get?

DONT USE AMONIA BASED SEALANT ie Joes.... rather use slime pro

two years later, it had eaten the metal of my rims and causing the white paint to blister it looks like its rotting.

where you can clearly see this is around the valve hole.

Everything was trial and error 2 years ago.

Cape Cycle systems says " oh, now we know, by the way dont use the sealant you using"

So two years later, it cost me 5k

had i stuck with slime filled tubes, i mite have had the occasional flat but my rims would still have been good.

SO....if its abrasive to your hand, stay clear of it.

Luckily for me, i had a very understanding insurance company.