Cycling Safety Warnings - Twitter Feed

Karakoram

I love cycling and it is with some concern that I read on these forums of the seeming escalation of bike-jacking and muggings taking place. The problem is that knowledge of hotspots is not readily available, unless one happens to monitor this forum. Warnings are then mostly available only after the fact.

It would be great to have a twitter feed, directly to your mobile, as soon as someone tweets a safety warning. Must say, that I am not a user of Twitter yet, but from what I’ve heard, this service could potentially play a great role to provide a safety heads-up to fellow cyclists.

To avoid a cacophony of spam-tweets it I think one should be able to subscribe to receive selective tweets, say only from a specific province or region. So, if there are any Twitter whizzes out there, or somebody willing to expand the functionality of TheHub, I would be a sure subscriber to receive cycling safety tweets.

You can send a link to a hub safety on your own Twitter feed, then your cycling mates will get it.

I am still trying to get my head around the technology. Let's see if I follow your proposal: 1) I post a tweet about a safety related item on TheHub. 2) My mates following me on Twitter will then receive a link to TheHub safety page. 3)My mates will then have to log in to view the page?

That is not exactly what I had in mind. I am thinking more of a subscription service fascilitating the posting and reception of tweets/sms in time on a mobile phone of something going down or looking suspicious. It will be a general instant notification to all subscribers to the service.

I am still trying to get my head around the technology. Let's see if I follow your proposal: 1) I post a tweet about a safety related item on TheHub. You can do that by clicking the twitter icon here. 2) My mates following me on Twitter will then receive a link to TheHub safety page. Use http://tiny.cc/ to shorten the link. Yes they will. 3)My mates will then have to log in to view the page? If they're using a web-enabled phone, it'll take them to the link, no logging in necessary.

That is not exactly what I had in mind. I am thinking more of a subscription service fascilitating the posting and reception of tweets/sms in time on a mobile phone of something going down or looking suspicious. It will be a general instant notification to all subscribers to the service. Would be a great idea. Until someone sets it up, you'll have to follow peeps in the local cycling world to hear about incidents.

a good place to start is highlighting crimes u know of at this website: Turn it Around.

They dont have a specific tag for cycling related crimes, but I'll ask them if they can add it, then see if we can filter out according to that tag so as to identify cycling related criminal hotspots...

Edited by Capricorn

a good place to start is highlighting crimes u know of at this website: Turn it Around.

Hi Capricorn. Thanks, it is a fantastic website. I wasn't aware of it. Maybe it could also be of use to the cycling community.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Capricorn. Thanks, it is a fantastic website. I wasn't aware of it. Maybe it could also be of use to the cycling community.

Hey guys - we added Bike Jacking to the crime types... Report them - the more we share the more we do can about it. http://www.turnitaround.co.za

Gerald