Grabouw to Kleinmond trails

GLuvsMtb

I am going to be on the South Coast for easter and is thinking about a good 60 to 70 km mountain bike route to do in the Kleinmond area. I've played around on Googlemaps and found some maps on Cape Nature's website. The idea is to do a lap at Oak Valley with my wife and some friends and then to ride from Oak Valley to Kleinmond off-road (or at least off the N2 highway).

See route mapped out below. My questions are as follow:

- is this route open for the public. I don't want to tresspass.

- according to googlemaps its about 39km in distance, what is the general condition of the road.

post-5386-0-11118700-1303219159.png

ja, that's highlands road..public, so no access problems. it's dirt and and downhill, might be dusty and bumpys in places

some other routes will go off to the west, you can't take 'em.

(2) you most definitely can not use, it's on the totalsports challenge race once a year only.

Another option is to ride the Koegelberg reserve. Enter near the Palmiet River bridge on the Cape Town side of Kleinmond. Pay the entrance fee and it's about 30km of beautiful riding down the valley. Its an out and back route. Take a picnic basket ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. This should add another 2 hours of easy riding to my day at Oak Valley.

We used to do the trip from Mispah camping site, (you enter from the N2 at the Eskom site opposite Grabouw) through the farmland and orchards and then via the Kogelberg reserve to Kleinmond. Maverick Cycles issued the permits, must have been 8+ years ago since we last did the trip. I remember a serious water crossing at a retaining wall in the river. The first time we built floats from branches a la Huckleberry Finn. The second year we took pool noodles to float the bikes across.It was raining heavily the one year, but when we got to the water, my one buddy, took all his (wet) clothes off, put it in a big zip lock type bag and swam to the other side where he got dressed again. Before , during and after the crossing it was p.....g with rain, he struggled to explain his action to the rest of us. At one stage there was an attempt to build a foofy (sp?) slide over the dam, I never saw the finished product.

Highly recommended trip.

we did this last year, but took the turn off at perdeberg. very nice

i'm not taking my bike to kleinmond, but my brother and father are, so PM me if you want details

ja, that's highlands road..public, so no access problems. it's dirt and and downhill, might be dusty and bumpys in places

some other routes will go off to the west, you can't take 'em.

(2) you most definitely can not use, it's on the totalsports challenge race once a year only.

Did the ride about a month ago. Going down the hill towards Arabella is very bumpy! But this is a nice ride - I generally go from there towards Hermanus via Karwyderskraal and hemel and Aarde.