Rear wheel lifting

Firewater

My full suspension recently went in for its first service. When I took it out for a ride afterwards I noticed that the rear wheel was lifting quite a lot when I stand up going over bumps on an even or downhill slope, down rocky slopes and over bumpy terrain.

I first thought the fork pressure was too weak and that it may be the cause. The pressure was a bit on the low side and I pumped it to 150psi (positive) and 135psi (negative). I weigh about 98kg. The fork now feels more responsive (not so soft) but I still get a lot of rear wheel lift even with my weight behind the saddle.

I had a few close encounters of the nasty kind at Groenkloof because the front end would just absorp all the momentum and lift the rear quite high resulting in me going forward over the handlebars.

Any ideas I can try? The shop who originally sold me the bike did a near perfect set-up for me when new. (Yes, phoned the shop-closed for the long weekend...)

Fork is a Rockshox Revelation Race. The shock is a Fox Float 23RP at 220psi.

My full suspension recently went in for its first service. When I took it out for a ride afterwards I noticed that the rear wheel was lifting quite a lot when I stand up going over bumps on an even or downhill slope, down rocky slopes and over bumpy terrain.

I first thought the fork pressure was too weak and that it may be the cause. The pressure was a bit on the low side and I pumped it to 150psi (positive) and 135psi (negative). I weigh about 98kg. The fork now feels more responsive (not so soft) but I still get a lot of rear wheel lift even with my weight behind the saddle.

I had a few close encounters of the nasty kind at Groenkloof because the front end would just absorp all the momentum and lift the rear quite high resulting in me going forward over the handlebars.

Any ideas I can try? The shop who originally sold me the bike did a near perfect set-up for me when new. (Yes, phoned the shop-closed for the long weekend...)

So what percentage sag have you got on the front, and what percentage sag on the rear?

How many clicks positive rebound on the rear?

Sounds like rebound on your shock. If your shock rebounds too quickly it will try to catapult you over the handles when it hits a bump. Try adjusting the rebound so that when you compress the shock it returns slower. To slow will result in a harsh ride like a hardtail as the shock will not have time to rebound before taking the next hit.

Whats the positive & negative about?

Hi The Drongo - 8 positive clicks and about 10% sag front and rear.

8 clicks is a all there is right? So rebound is too high, back off 4 and work from there.

Sag is too little. High compression and fast rebound basically means you are going to be back to hardtail and running on your front wheel, not all bad, but if you have spent dosh on a full sus, you may as well use it.

Aim for 20-25% sag on SHAFT travel from lip of air seal to the moved o-ring(50 mm travel will mean that the shock should compress about 12-13mm when you get on, with your kit.)NB. You need to set sag in the OPEN position, and not Propedal.

Once you have set sag correctly, find a drop (kerb edge) about 200-250mm high and ride off it in a straight line, seated. Shock should not rebound more than once if rebound is correct.

RP23 then allows you 3 settings on pro-pedal. 1-light, 2-medium and 3-firm. Try running 2 (med) for your weight and play from there. The propedal trim only works in Propedal on mode, and the knob needs to be lifted and turned clockwise (2 clicks) to adjust setting. You should adjust when the shock is static, and not on the fly.

Give it a bash.

:thumbup: