KZN Highway area riding spots

Grebel

Are there any nice riding/fun spots for MTB in the kloof/Pinetown/Westville area that anybody knows of besides Giba? Somebody started a project a few years ago where they would go explore urban trails in Westville. Somewhere in the UK there is a site that you can upload your urban trails to and people can download them and ride them as well. Could be a cool idea...

I only know of the trail along the river from the garage in Westmead towards Giba. (Watch out for motorbikes though!!)

Edit: Sorry this should have gone into Routes and Trails...

Edited by Grebel

Are there any nice riding/fun spots for MTB in the kloof/Pinetown/Westville area that anybody knows of besides Giba? Somebody started a project a few years ago where they would go explore urban trails in Westville. Somewhere in the UK there is a site that you can upload your urban trails to and people can download them and ride them as well. Could be a cool idea...

I only know of the trail along the river from the garage in Westmead towards Giba. (Watch out for motorbikes though!!)

The urban rides, my mate, Brett Bolton organised - They ride through the Palmiet in Central Westville - Not been with them yet, what they hace said they tend to get off the bike a bit to get along the paths - Its a walking trail that they ride.

They do still go, not sure when they are going again. I can find out for you if you are keen, I am keen to explore the Palmiet a bit more.

I was actually thinking about this last night, and was gonna take a hike around to see some other trails we used to play around as a kid

If you're prepared to go the Hillcrest, you could spend a number of hours from central Hillcrest through assagay, shongweni, alverston cato ridge... spending very little time on tar.

We sometimes just for laughs go into Pinetown on a Sunday afternoon and hop pavements, ride down stairs and just look around for places to have fun. I have almost had a few accidents after dropping my son off at school while looking in parks and the like to see where a footpath goes. There are a few short "trails" in the area but you seem to have to ride a long way to get there just to do a short section. Would be nice to map a few urban routes to share with a few guys. Makes a chage from the usual Giba ride or the trek up north to ride PMB area etc.

If you're prepared to go the Hillcrest, you could spend a number of hours from central Hillcrest through assagay, shongweni, alverston cato ridge... spending very little time on tar.

I know that there are quite a few trails up Cato Ridge way. You can park at the BP on the N3 and ride out. Also quite safe. We have ridden a loop from Polo Pony up Alverstone, past Phe Zulu. You cut across the railway line just befor the comrades memorial wall and come out in the valley. Go past the Ark and follow the Hill2hill route back to Polo Pony (Without doing the Shongweni section as we are not EMBA Members). Getting a bit boring doing the same route though... Not fun with an MTB on tar either :(

I know that there are quite a few trails up Cato Ridge way. You can park at the BP on the N3 and ride out. Also quite safe. We have ridden a loop from Polo Pony up Alverstone, past Phe Zulu. You cut across the railway line just befor the comrades memorial wall and come out in the valley. Go past the Ark and follow the Hill2hill route back to Polo Pony (Without doing the Shongweni section as we are not EMBA Members). Getting a bit boring doing the same route though... Not fun with an MTB on tar either :(

Hey Grebel, Pinetown to Cato is definetly too far to travel, like Shova1 said there are 1001 great rides just on top of the hill, Kloof, Hillcrest, Botha's Hill & always plenty of guys & gals riding. Oscars in Hillcrest is generally the meeting spot, if u keen give us a shout garyb1@absamail.co.za

cheers

I know a pretty good route that you can start at Mavricks, up to Cato Ridge(on the tar) and then hook onto part of the Hill2hill route and that loops back towards Shongweni.

Hey Grebel, Pinetown to Cato is definetly too far to travel, like Shova1 said there are 1001 great rides just on top of the hill, Kloof, Hillcrest, Botha's Hill & always plenty of guys & gals riding. Oscars in Hillcrest is generally the meeting spot, if u keen give us a shout garyb1@absamail.co.za

cheers

Has anyone mapped these routes.

Has anyone mapped these routes.

will make some enquiries, why don't u guys join us for puuuza Thurs. @ bring it on cycles in kloof, it's like mommie's book club evening, dop & chop & solve any problem, even some cycling stuff !!

Just checking out google earth and it looks like the potential for some wicked trails around the Westville Varsity, as I said as we used to walk around that part of the Palmiet a lot, its been about 20 years since I was last there, but Im sure that the walking trails would still be there.

29°49'19.93"S

30°55'56.54"E

The large green area

Edited by Caerus

What about Steinbank in Queensborough. I know they are going to building that up again with new trails. An old school mate of mine, is in talks with the locals chiefs about safety in the area

will make some enquiries, why don't u guys join us for puuuza Thurs. @ bring it on cycles in kloof, it's like mommie's book club evening, dop & chop & solve any problem, even some cycling stuff !!

Bring It On Cycles have closed.

Or did they just move somewhere else?

Bring It On Cycles have closed.

Or did they just move somewhere else?

Nooo, they have just moved to the Virgin active centre in Kloof

bring it on just moved to behind Virgin.

For those that ride regularly in the Highway area, how about posting some maps for us, sought of turn this thread into an "official" route guide to Highway and surrounding?

bring it on just moved to behind Virgin.

For those that ride regularly in the Highway area, how about posting some maps for us, sought of turn this thread into an "official" route guide to Highway and surrounding?

What do you think about the area near the varsity I'm talking about, can it ridden?

I remember playing in the bush there as a young 'un some 20 odd years ago, but couldn't honestly say now. I visiting a mate in chiltern road this weekend so may just drive down there and look around. you think it's safe tho?