Lio-Ion Battery pack help required

An3

Hi All

I want to use my Swallow Advance battery charger to charge my Magicshine battery pack but I do not know what settings to use.

Cell info: 18650 3.7V 2200mAh.

On website: [Array: 4 x 18650 Li-ion array (8.4V 4.4 AH)]

Swallow only has following voltage for Li-ion: 3.6, 7.2 etc

Can I use Li-Po settings? Is 7.4 the correct voltage? Why does website say 8.4V? (Are two cells in series and 2 in parallel)

Li-Po: 3.7, 7.4, 11.1, etc

there is a "C" setting - I assume capacity. Do I use capacity of cell (2200) or 4400?

Please help - I am a mechanic. I do not understand stuff I cannot see:)

Edited by An3

You can use Li-po 7.4v (8.4v is the fully charged voltage - 7.4v is the nominal voltage - 6v or 5.5v is the cut voltage) - using the 7.2v setting will increase battery lifespan but decrease available capacity slightly. -> Most 18650 these days have 4.2v as peak but the latest Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, LG are going up to 4.35v for the 3100mAh cells.

Most 18650 datasheets have 3 hours as standard charge time. Magicshine battery is 4000mAh at best (tested), although rated higher. So 0.5C would be 2A. I think the std. MS chargery is rated 1.8A with an open voltage of 8.5v (tested)

There's been many problems with Magicshine batteries. Google.

If you need a new battery, I build any configuration Li-Ion using the best Japanese made cells and have built quite a few large capacity batteries for Magicshine lights.

You can use Li-po 7.4v (8.4v is the fully charged voltage - 7.4v is the nominal voltage - 6v or 5.5v is the cut voltage) - using the 7.2v setting will increase battery lifespan but decrease available capacity slightly. -> Most 18650 these days have 4.2v as peak but the latest Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, LG are going up to 4.35v for the 3100mAh cells.

Most 18650 datasheets have 3 hours as standard charge time. Magicshine battery is 4000mAh at best (tested), although rated higher. So 0.5C would be 2A. I think the std. MS chargery is rated 1.8A with an open voltage of 8.5v (tested)

There's been many problems with Magicshine batteries. Google.

If you need a new battery, I build any configuration Li-Ion using the best Japanese made cells and have built quite a few large capacity batteries for Magicshine lights.

Recommended Discharge Current?

Batteries constructed of 2x18650 cells in parallel should have a minimum of 5A discharge ability - way more than any bike light require.