Trek Hifi 29er Deluxe vs Giant Anthem X1 29er

Gwaba

For those who might be interested I ended up buying the Giant Anthem. The decision was made for me since the LBS could not get their hands on a 23" Trek HiFi Pro or Deluxe. They did offer to strip a 21" Pro and transfer the components to a 23" Plus but who wants to pay R29k for a bike that looks like a R19K bike?

Interesting you went for a 23" - I am slightly taller and ride a 21", I just put on a longer stem...

Did not get a chance to ride a 23" as they did not exist when I bought my 29er. I am happy with the 21" though. Is the 23" much longer in wheelbase?

I did look at the GT but that is more a trail bike as oppose to a XC bike. The colours are also wacky - not "windgat" enough to pull that off ;-) I was not too impressed by the comp set and I'm not sold on only 2 front blades

I have an Anthem but if you're a weekend warrior I must be honest and say that a 26 would suit you

I tend to think that you need to be a touch fitter ( not to say that you arent ) to get the most out of the big wheels it can take a bit out of you on the climbs

If you want to get into racing then I would say 29er

having said that if you are going 29er the giant is far superior

I had the Trek for a good few long rides

Giant spec is way better by a long way much better brakes than the trek which is NB on a 29er

aftersales service about 300% better

Its lighter

the trek has some funny fork angle( on the steerer so can be a ballache to upgrade

the trek has a more relaxed geometry

the rear triangle on the giant is simple

no issues with wheels can convert to tubeless with a roll of tape and a valve

I am 1.86 and have the 19.5 (large) it is a racier feel than the Trek but the maestro is great

a bit biased ... but mostly based on fact/ my exp.