Safe Cycling in Bunches

MarkWildcat

I have to tell you how awesome it was for me to ride with some buddies yesterday after having been loaned a Yeti to ride with. The camaraderie certainly nullified the distance for which I was not too fit.

My buddies, being fitter than I pulled away up hill and on some flats I have to admit. The thing is that I had been hijacked a fortnight before and my bike stolen at gunpoint on Monument Rd in Mnandi.

So when it came to riding up hill, past Diepsloot, I have to admit to having a little trepidation and was on full alert.

I had pepper spray and a knife with me ready to attack any would be attacker before they got to me this time! Bravado in theory, not sure in practice!

Then on my way driving back home past Northern Farm, I noticed others like me, left behind by the group or cycling alone.

Word of Advice:

1 - Assign one from the bunch to the slower rider, to keep a look out if not ride with him, and rotate that role.

2 - Ride in areas where hiacking is not an issue if possible (Avoid Mnandi, esp. Monument rd).

3 - Register your bike with NBRZA.co.za and keep the serial number handy for insurance

4 - Do not buy second hand bikes from anyone other than obvious cyclists, the rest may be on sellers for the thieves

5 - Good luck and stay wide awake when you are riding in Gauteng!