Used Edge 530 vs New Wahoo, New IGS620

love2fly

What would be the better option of the above GPS options, all priced around 4k.

The Wahoo is the V1. Is the V2 very much improved?

I have a strap and sensors so actually just need the head unit 

I bought a used Edge 530 a year ago and it still delivers about 18+hours of battery life.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

What’s your end goal? Seems like you have a great head unit which is still performing in terms of battery 

I like to have one head unit for my MTB and one for road. That way they last longer and I don't risk leaving it at home. So the question is another but used Edge 530 or something new....

15 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I like to have one head unit for my MTB and one for road. That way they last longer and I don't risk leaving it at home. So the question is another but used Edge 530 or something new....

Why not stick with what you got (Garmin)? Two interfaces, apps, etc can make life complicated?

41 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Why not stick with what you got (Garmin)? Two interfaces, apps, etc can make life complicated?

😁 I already have 2 - Bryton and Garmin. Replacing Bryton....

GPlama did a review on the IGS. He wasn't that impressed. Its half the cost of Garmin but takes twice the time to navigate and set up. Any changes once you have it set up is another b'ache so that that into consideration.

another issue is, will they be around when / if you need warranty service in future? 

Wahoo improved their navigation interface with the v2 If I recall. I think you need to write down what you think you want the bike computer to do, then tick off what you actually use and see which units overlaps the stuff you think you want and does the stuff you actually use very well

wahoo v1 doesnt have proper navigation with turn by turn and route correction (as far as I remember). The same as what was with the Garmin 520.  The 520 plus brought in proper navigation which made it superior to the wahoo v1.  and then the 530 came.  I owned both the 520 plus and 530.  Id stick with them.

My 530 gave up the ghost so Garmin upgraded me (out of warrantee) to the 540 at a 1/4 of the price of retail.  So you have great customer service as well.

I have a Wahoo V1 and is happy with it. No problems with navigation, used it a couple of times with Gravel races. When riding a route it also shows all the climbs same as Garmin. Only thing I am unable to setup or get working is Whatsapp notifications on the Wahoo.

are you talking Bolt or Roam?
I presume Roam V1 due to all the sales they are on.
Roam V1 came out a lot later and was more focussed on navigation, and introduced colour screens, so above comments about the wahoo not having full Nav may refer to the old bolt.

Bolt V2 then improved on the Roam features

2 hours ago, guidodg said:

Hammerhead Karoo....unparalleled navigation 

Thats an interesting option, thanks

23 minutes ago, Jensie said:

I have a Wahoo V1 and is happy with it. No problems with navigation, used it a couple of times with Gravel races. When riding a route it also shows all the climbs same as Garmin. Only thing I am unable to setup or get working is Whatsapp notifications on the Wahoo.

I can find V1's at around 4k and was wondering how much of a tradeoff it would be against the V2 and am giving it serious consideration.

2 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

Roam V1 came out a lot later and was more focussed on navigation, and introduced colour screens, so above comments about the wahoo not having full Nav may refer to the old bolt.

Yes Roam v1..

3 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

Its the V1 Roam I'm looking at.

Whats the battery life like in "normal riding" mode ie not navigation?

I get close to 19 hours on my Edge 530

On the V2
Added Multi-band/Dual Frequency GPS (from Sony)
– Added 64-color display (same as BOLT V2, was previously 16 colors)
– Increased to 32GB of storage (was previously 4GB)
– Changed buttons to be raised instead of divots
– Changed to USB-C charging port
– Maintained same 17-hour battery life

On V2 you have music control and ANT+ light control

That is what I know of…