going 10 speed

The Silverback Man

Its almost time for me replacing some bits and pieces of my groupset (9 speed). Im worried that 9 speed might phase out and because of that im scared replacing with new 9 speed stuff.

Will 9 speed be phasing out anytime soon? Is 10 speed far superior to 9 speed and therefor worthwhile just getting a new 10 speed groupset anyway?

[/quote

Think about it this way. My 9 speed cassettes last about 4-5 chains. Each chain will go +-1500km. So let's say 7500 km's on a mtb. That is 20.5km/day for a year. Or 10km's/ay for 2 years. More than most fun riders do. If you assume that your chain rings will last as long as your cassette, your cassette/chain rings will be good for 2 years... And in 2 years you will be looking at a new machine?

3x10? How many gears do you actually need. 27 is a LOT.

2x10? Why is that better than a 2x9? (Yes, i have read what the marketeers wrote) As far as I am concerned, stay with 9 speed (BTW, what is wrong with an 8 speed?)

Who stands to gain by upgrading to the 3x10 systems? Shimano and Sram. Who stands to loose? The 'upgrader'.

Think about it this way. My 9 speed cassettes last about 4-5 chains. Each chain will go +-1500km. So let's say 7500 km's on a mtb. That is 20.5km/day for a year. Or 10km's/ay for 2 years. More than most fun riders do. If you assume that your chain rings will last as long as your cassette, your cassette/chain rings will be good for 2 years... And in 2 years you will be looking at a new machine?

3x10? How many gears do you actually need. 27 is a LOT.

2x10? Why is that better than a 2x9? (Yes, i have read what the marketeers wrote) As far as I am concerned, stay with 9 speed (BTW, what is wrong with an 8 speed?)

Who stands to gain by upgrading to the 3x10 systems? Shimano and Sram. Who stands to loose? The 'upgrader'.

I am staying 9 speed nothing wrong with it!

do i have to put a 10 speed crankset on or wil a 9 speed work

Not sure what will help for your itch, but see your doctor. Sometimes it is caused by worms.

In my opinion giving riders more gears is making them lazy . . . Dont get me wrong i like my 9spd setup but i loved my spd 8 even more . Just the fact that you had to choose a gear and forced to stick with it till the end of the climb , just made your leg strength that much stronger

bt looking forward to experiencethe new 10spd gearing

Why are some saying you would have to change the derailleur?

Shift increments are controlled by the shifter.

I have been using a "9 speed" Dura Ace rear derailleur on my 10 speed bike without any issues, ever.

There is more than enough movement with the limit screws to use it on 11 speed even.

But the cassette width has not changed, the 10 gears are just closer to each other.

In my opinion, a rear derailleur does not know what speed it is and frankly doesn't care, it just does whatever the shifter tells it to do!