Counterfeiters target cyclists

Matt

Press Release: MiWayMTB, 1 August 2011

Consumers looking to purchase a bicycle are being advisedto check that they receive the equipment they spend their hard earned cash on.MiWay, the innovative short-term insurer closely involved with the mountainbiking community, is warning shoppers that top bike brands are being targetedby counterfeiters who are skilled at creating an appearance that is deceptivelyoriginal.

MiWay’s head of claims, Max Huggins, explains: “Like thesoftware, movie and music markets, bike purchasers with limited budgets arebeing lured, often via online Asian stores, to buy stolen or fake cycles at‘too good to be true’ prices. This is a great concern as the copies are madefrom inferior materials and just painted to look like the originals.Structurally, the bikes are less efficient and far more fragile. As a resultthey are more likely to break unexpectedly and pose a real risk for injury toriders. They also do not carry any manufacturer warranty, and could pose aproblem when insuring them.”

MiWay is warning cyclists to pay closer attention andhelp raise awareness within their cycling communities to avoid becoming victimsof online scams, says Huggins. “Our advice to consumers is to buy only fromaccredited retailers or suppliers. Most good bike manufacturers include aserial number on the frame which can be checked with the supplier; purchasersshould use the opportunity to confirm authenticity before it’s too late andthey find themselves stuck with equipment that is unreliable and potentiallydangerous.”

Press Release: MiWayMTB, 1 August 2011

Consumers looking to purchase a bicycle are being advisedto check that they receive the equipment they spend their hard earned cash on.MiWay, the innovative short-term insurer closely involved with the mountainbiking community, is warning shoppers that top bike brands are being targetedby counterfeiters who are skilled at creating an appearance that is deceptivelyoriginal.

MiWay’s head of claims, Max Huggins, explains: “Like thesoftware, movie and music markets, bike purchasers with limited budgets arebeing lured, often via online Asian stores, to buy stolen or fake cycles at‘too good to be true’ prices. This is a great concern as the copies are madefrom inferior materials and just painted to look like the originals.Structurally, the bikes are less efficient and far more fragile. As a resultthey are more likely to break unexpectedly and pose a real risk for injury toriders. They also do not carry any manufacturer warranty, and could pose aproblem when insuring them.”

MiWay is warning cyclists to pay closer attention andhelp raise awareness within their cycling communities to avoid becoming victimsof online scams, says Huggins. “Our advice to consumers is to buy only fromaccredited retailers or suppliers. Most good bike manufacturers include aserial number on the frame which can be checked with the supplier; purchasersshould use the opportunity to confirm authenticity before it’s too late andthey find themselves stuck with equipment that is unreliable and potentiallydangerous.”

I wonder if this comes as a result of the chap who found out his frame was a fake when he tried to make a claim. I wonder what the outcome of that case was ? :unsure:

Edited by Caerus