Shimano Disk Brake Questions

Big H*

I am in the process of upgrading my Gary Fisher Tassajara mountainbike.

I am looking at either of the following:-

Shimano XT M785 or Shimano SLX M666, this is the new range with the cooling fins on the brake pads. They will only be in stock on CRC at the end of October. If they are not available earlier I will most likely order the XT M775 or SLX M665.

For XT M775 they state under “features” – “Hydraulic Disc Brake for International A-type” What does this mean?

What kind of disk pads are the best here. They come standard with Shimano Resin Pads. I want to order some extra pads.

Edited by eccentric1

Can't answer the international A type ques. Can however say I am a firm supporter of the XT M775 brakes a pre-req on any bike I look to buy. Standard resin pads have been perfect for me. Seriously long life span and effective braking. That said, my conditions are mainly dry.

Have had the XT's on my Merdia FLX3500D - 2+ years old, no complaints. Just bought a new bike and true to form it had to have XT's.

Can't answer the international A type ques. Can however say I am a firm supporter of the XT M775 brakes a pre-req on any bike I look to buy. Standard resin pads have been perfect for me. Seriously long life span and effective braking. That said, my conditions are mainly dry.

Have had the XT's on my Merdia FLX3500D - 2+ years old, no complaints. Just bought a new bike and true to form it had to have XT's.

+1 Great answer!!

I have those M775's for ~2yrs now and will not change to anything! Because I don't ever need to!!

Resin pad is great - they wear moderately and I'm 90kg's but fairly light on the breaks most of the time...cost ~R100 max for a replacement set.

(beware - yuo cannot interchange resin and metal sintered pads without stuffing up the rotor...once resin - stick to resin.

Very easy to maintain; bleed; etc.

Can't go wrong with them...

Probably something to do with the type of mounting on the fork. International standard or post mount.

It seems that all Shimano

disks are post mount. This LX M775 is the only one with this description on the CRC website

Edited by eccentric1