Brown trumps Hoffman at Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge

Matt

Brown trumps Hoffman at Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge

Press Release: 5 October 2011

As expected, it came down to a bunch sprint at the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge which took place at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on Sunday 2, October 2011, with Arron Brown (MTN Qhubeka) once again trumping his arch-rival Nolan Hoffman of the Tasol GT Team. In cloudy and overcast conditions, with the occasional light rain to make the already windy route tricky, the race delivered drama as cyclists experienced slippery roads.

The big climb up to Westville North, 20km into the race was expected to see the attacks come, but MTN pushed the pace hard up the climb to control proceedings. Once at the top of the climb, the peloton reached speeds of to 70km/hr going down towards New Germany. Various attacks went off the front but were immediately pulled back, the most dangerous coming at 48km when seven riders opened a gap of around 10 seconds. The leaders, including the likes of Jason Bakke, Jani Tewelde, Johan Rabie, Arron Brown and Hanco Kachelhoffer, were threatening to get away until the peloton pulled them back at the halfway stage of the race.

Copy of EDCC-2302.jpg

The Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge in Durban, 2 October 2011. Pic: Rogan Ward/SPORTZPICS

Martin Weseman (MTN Qhubeka) Richard Baxter (Tasol GT), Hanco Kachelhofer (Bonitas) and Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg (MTN Qhubeka) made a decisive break as the peloton at the 60km mark as the riders left the Bluff area.

The quartet quickly opened a gap of 45 seconds (at 64km along Prospectin).

MTN Qhubeka were quite content to let the four riders go as they had two in the lead group who were working hard to further open the gap. At 75km they had moved to a lead of 50seconds. Bonitas and Tasol GT decided to close down the gap. By 85km the peloton had taken 11 seconds out of the lead of the quartet. 2 km later and the gap was down to 29 seconds. With less than 10km left, the peloton were 18 seconds down and eventually swallowed the leaders with 6km left.

The race came down to a sprint finish and Arron Brown (MTN Qhubeka) was once again triumphant over Nolan Hoffman (Sasol GT). “It was a great a team effort by us,” said winner Brown. “We had the numbers, we were the team to beat and we made it count.”

20111002__MG_0761.JPG

MTN Qhubeka rider Arron Brown celebrates winning the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge in Durban, 2 October 2011. Pic: Rogan Ward/SPORTZPICS

Hoffman was philosophical about his defeat. “Arron is the man to beat right now. But they have the strength in numbers. I am happy with my form right now and expect to reverse my fortunes very soon.”

The ladies race was all but over when Liese Olivier of MTN Qhubeka crested the climb after 20km and proceeded to open a gap over Cherise Taylor.

20111002__MG_0784.JPG

MTN Qhubeka rider Lise Olivier leads the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge in Durban, 2 October 2011. She went on to win after breaking early in the race. Pic: Rogan Ward/SPORTZPICS

Coming into the Toti area (67km) she had opened a lead over Taylor of 2 min and with An-Li Pretorius and Sarah Chemally (both MTN Qhubeka) marking Taylor, Olivier was able to ride away from her rival and cross the finish line almost four and a half minutes ahead of the rest of field. Second went to Jeaun-Marie Breytenbach; with An-Li Pretorius rounding out the podium.

In addition to the 1200 cyclists that participated, 30 Engen Petrol pump attendants took part in the race and were equipped with the necessary bikes and gear all of which was provided from the generous petroleum brand.

EDCC-3229.jpg

The Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge in Durban, 2 October 2011. Pic: Rogan Ward/SPORTZPICS

South Africa’s leading energy company will also once again donate 50% of all the entry fees raised from the Durban leg of the Engen Dynamic Cycle Challenge to the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital Burn’s Unit, as it does at all EDCC events. Last year Engen raised over R 80,000 across its three EDCC events (PE, Durban and Cape Town) and hopes to exceed the amount this year. After the Port Elizabeth and Durban leg, this year’s figure stands at R 71 000.

The EDCC makes its way to beautiful Wellington on 8th and 9th October 2011 at the Nelson’s Creek Wine Estate. Be sure to get your entry in. Love riding it!