Rookie Woolcock wins Nissan Trailseeker Series title

Matt

Rookie Woolcock wins Nissan Trailseeker Series title

Press Release - 7 November 2011

Mountain bike racing rookie, Waylon Woolcock, captured the overall title in the 2011 Nissan Trailseeker Mountain Bike Marathon Series, giving his RE:CM team another boost in its inaugural year. The Series standings were finalised on Monday after the fifth and final leg, which took place at Van Gaalen, near Hartebeespoort Dam at the weekend.

While he’s brand new to mountain bike racing, 29-year-old Woolcock is a seasoned road cycling professional, who also races for Team Bonitas professional road cycling team. His RE:CM and Team Bonitas teammate, Neil MacDonald finished third overall in the Nissan Trailseeker Series, despite being forced to miss Sunday’s final round at Van Gaalen due to illness.

“It feels great to have a mountain bike series win under the belt in my first year as a mountain bike racer. It gives good credibility to our mountain bike racing team to have two riders on the final podium,” said Woolcock, adding: “It’s a pity Neil wasn’t able to compete in the final event because he was lying second in the Series before the final round. At least one of us took the title though!”

The best three results in the five-race series were used to determine the final standings. Even though he never won any of the individual events, Woolcock’s three second places gave him the most points of the title contenders. Max Knox (DoItNow Ghost) was second with the MTN Qhubeka pair of Adrien Niyonshuti and Jacques Janse van Rensburg fourth and fifth respectively.

“Thanks to Advendurance and Nissan for putting on great events in close proximity to major cities. It’s great for mountain bikers to be able to do quality events so close to home. It can’t be easy finding safe, stimulating mountain bike race routes in the areas, but each event really did offer up a good challenge and unique character,” said Woolcock.

Team RE:CM, comprising Woolcock and MacDonald, only launched in April and the pair tasted success in their very first event, winning six stages and the overall title at the Fairbairn Capital Old Mutual joBerg2c stage race. They finished second overall with one stage win at the Subaru Sani2c and completed their maiden season of stage racing with fourth place at the recent DCM Cape Pioneer Trek.

One day-race successes for the year include MacDonald’s wins at the Nissan Trailseeker Down and Dirty in Gauteng, the Compendium Derby in KwaZulu-Natal (Woolcock was second at each of these races), as well as the B-Sure Life's a Journey Race in North West; while Woolcock won the Penny Pinchers Die Burger Karoo-to-Coast in the Western Cape (MacDonald was second).

“It’s been a great debut year for the team and we’re very proud of them,” said Malcolm Lange, of Lange Sports, which owns and manages Team RE:CM.

“Both Neil and Waylon have been stalwarts in our road team, Team Bonitas, but are usually working for their teammates on the tar, so seldom taste success. It’s super to see them getting out what they put in on the mountain bike racing front and we’re looking forward more success in 2012.”

For full Nissan Trailseeker Series 2011 final rankings, visit www.saseeding.co.za

waylon.jpg

Waylon Woolcock climbs a stony section of trail at the final round of the Nissan Trailseeker Series at Van Gaalen at the weekend.

Photo credit: Zoon Cronje / Nissan Trailseeker Series