20km Fun Ride - 9H00

Venue

Jakkalsdans Hotel in Rooiberg

GPS Coordinates: 24° 46" 36.05 S 27° 44" 32.32 E

Registration

Registration: On Saturday from 06h00 to 8h00 at Jakkalsdans, Rooiberg

Late Entries: On Saturday from 06h00 to 08h00 at Jakkalsdans, Rooiberg

Route Description

The 20km route is 100% ride-able, mainly jeep-tracks with rolling hills and beautiful grasslands.

Difficulty rating: 3/10 (Easy)

The 45km route is tougher than the 20km route with difficult terrain, jeep-tracks, some great single-tracks, river crossings, difficult climbs, fast downhills and lovely bushveld views and surroundings. The route is mainly using the Elandsberg Nature Reserve area with most of the riding in the grassland area, with some of the route venturing into the more mountainous parts.

Difficulty rating: 6/10 (Challenging)

The 70km route is tough but rewarding. The route includes lots of interesting jeep-tracks, single-track, river crossings, wooden bridges, but beware, the climbs are steep and the terrain is tough. Riders will however be rewarded for their pain and suffering with the exhilarating scenery, awesome down-hills, fast single-track and the general ambience of the area. A must-do for any serious mountain biker!!!

Difficulty rating: 9/10 (Very tough))

Directions to Rooiberg

Take the Bela Bela(Warmbaths) turn-off from the N1 approx 100 km north of Pretoria

Once in Bela Bela, follow the main road (Chris Hani Road) in a westerly direction towards Rustenburg/Thabazimbi

Go past the first turnoff to Mabula/Rooiberg approx 35km out of Bela Bela. (this road goes to Rooiberg and is 16kms shorter but becomes dirt after 4kms and could be in bad condition). Rather take the 2nd turnoff to Rooiberg (right) approx 60km out of Bela Bela

Follow the road for approximately 17km to Rooiberg, passing the golf course entrance on your right hand side (which is where the event started from in 2008 and 2009) and shortly thereafter turn left, and Jakkalsdans (2010 and 2011 event village) will be on your righthand side

GPS Coordinates: S24° 46" 36.05 E 27° 44" 32.32

Rooiberg is approximately 30km from Mabilingwe Nature Reserve, Mabula Resort and Zebula Golf Resort. A number of other closer options are also available.

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...

Accommodation

There are a number of accommodation options available in the area, from luxury lodges to camping sites.

Click here to download a list of accommodation in Rooiberg area (or here: http://www.pennypinchersmtb.co.za/wdocs.php )

Alternatively call Gerda Botha at 014 734 1630 who will assist you in booking the right accommodation for you and your family.

Rooiberg is approximately 30km from Mabilingwe Nature Reserve, Mabula Resort and Zebula Golf Resort. A number of other closer options are also available

http://www.kwikwap.co.za/pennypinchers/docs/Rooiberg%20MTB%20Race%20Accommodation%20List.xls

Edited by HJV1999

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they doing a pre-ride on the 40km as well:

SMS: Join for the Rooiberg MTB Pre-ride this Sun at 8.30 from Jakkalsdans in Rooiberg. 40 & 70km. Race is on 14 Apr, details entrytime.com. All welcome, no cost

Edited by HJV1999

• 2 weeks later...