Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin Tyres

Caerus

I'm looking at these as a possible Front tyre(2.25) for KZN riding and the Nobby Nic seems to be ticking all the right boxes. I'm also looking at the Conti Mountain King or X-King as possibilities.

I did plenty of reading last night on Bikeradar and MTBr and they got great reviews, I realise they are pretty expensive(one of the few complaints about the tyres)

Any hubbers currently using these? Are they recommended, and how have they been with regards to punctures/ sidewall cuts as it has the snakeskin?

One of the other comments made was that they wear quite quickly, not sure if that relates to the newer models, also that they seemed skinnier then the advertised 2.25

I'm currently riding a 2.1 Excavator on my Trance, which has served me well, just looking at something slightly wider. I do a mix of XC & trail riding.

Price is R479

Many Thanks

Edited by Caerus

Ok here goes my 2c

I am currently running 2 snakeskin racing ralphs and I really like them. I know a fav combo is nobby nic front with a ralph at the back so I can't really comment on the nic's grip but from what I have heard they are pretty good.

Let's start with the bad, as you pointed out:

Schwalbe tyres are expensive

And they do wear quicker than others.

The non snakeskin ones are VERY prone to sidewall cuts, but they are stupid light

The good:

They are light enough

Snakeskin versions are tough enough for our conditions(survived some hard sessions at VG and Thaba with sharp rocks..no issues)

Seats easy on most rims and I have done my tubeless conversion without using a bomb or compressor.

They are pimp...cmon the names on the tyres are pretty cool

If i had to compare the Schwalbe racing ralphs against conti's UST MK or RK versions or even Geax Saguero TNT tyres I would say that the conti and geax are a bit tougher but they weigh quite a bit more. Also seating geax tyres is a 4 hour job...no jokes, so they are great for training wheels where you want high mileage out of a set of tyres but you will be screwed if you had to do a tyre repair or fit a tube on the trail in a race. My race wheelset = Schwalbe, for the rest I hammer the miles out on the geax bombproof sagueros knowing that when I will eventually replace them I will have to use an anglegrinder.

Edited by rouxtjie

Ok here goes my 2c

I am currently running 2 snakeskin racing ralphs and I really like them. I know a fav combo is nobby nic front with a ralph at the back so I can't really comment on the nic's grip but from what I have heard they are pretty good.

Let's start with the bad, as you pointed out:

Schwalbe tyres are expensive

And they do wear quicker than others.

The non snakeskin ones are VERY prone to sidewall cuts, but they are stupid light

The good:

They are light enough

Snakeskin versions are tough enough for our conditions(survived some hard sessions at VG with sharp rocks..no issues)

Seats easy on most rims and I have done my tubeless conversion without using a bomb or compressor.

They are pimp...cmon the names on the tyres are pretty cool

If i had to compare the Schwalbe racing ralphs against conti's UST MK or RK versions or even Geax Saguero TNT tyres I would say that the conti and geax is a bit tougher but they weigh quite a bit more. Also seating geax tyres is a 4 hour job...no jokes, so they are great for training wheels where you want high mileage out of a set of tyres but you will be screwed if you had to do a tyre repair or fit a tube on the trail in a race. My race wheelset = Schwalbe, for the rest I hammer the miles out on the geax bombproof sagueros knowing that when I will eventually replace them I will have to use an anglegrinder.

Thanks for the informative reply once again, I think I will give them a bash. R479(Cyclesonline) is not to bad a price so if they are not exactly my cup of tea, I can always just stick them on the missus bike(at the moment she won't know the difference.

What width are you running, the 2.25 as well? Are they easy enough to get onto the rims for running tubeless, any problems with sidewalls air leakage?

I had a Geax UST on the front before, the model name eludes me now, but I didn't like them at all, used once and now in the cupboard. I was suggested to also go with a X-King Protection 2.4 up front.

PS, I got my Garmin this morning, ordered late yesterday, can't wait to fit it and ride with it :)

Lekker man...yea running the 2.25. Mine seated with the simple yellow tape conversion on a pair of Stan's crest rime first shot and they are still going. That's not a bad price...go for it.

I heard mixed things about the X-kings, seems like a hate it or love it affair. You need to prep them apparently before they hold air effectively but that is all hear say, don't have experience.

Enjoy that 500, PS forgot to mention yesterday, checkout the workout functionality in the edge, i use it quite a bit for my interval training, works like a charm

Lekker man...yea running the 2.25. Mine seated with the simple yellow tape conversion on a pair of Stan's crest rime first shot and they are still going. That's not a bad price...go for it.

I heard mixed things about the X-kings, seems like a hate it or love it affair. You need to prep them apparently before they hold air effectively but that is all hear say, don't have experience.

Enjoy that 500, PS forgot to mention yesterday, checkout the workout functionality in the edge, i use it quite a bit for my interval training, works like a charm

Thanks a million again for all your help. :clap: :thumbup:

I was recommended a few things yesterday by the chap across from our offices, bit of a gadget guru(I would have gone straight to him but he has been away), he also said to check out a site called, GPSpies , its a GPS sharing site. Not sure if you know of it already. Ive got a date with the same bloke to go through everything with me.

I'm also running Stans Rims, so should be a doddle then to get them to seat properly.

Edited by Caerus

• 2 months later...

Is there an LBS near you, that you know has stock of the Nobby Nic 26" 2.25 Snakeskin Evo Pacestar. Seems like a two week back order for most places :(

Im running non snakeskin Nobby Nic front and rear at the moment and I really cant fault them.

Inflated to about 1.9 (with tube), no sidewall issues yet.

It's the second time now mounting Nobby Nic onto a Stans ZTR rim, and I must say its so easy to pump up. No compressor or bomb required, foot pump only , what a pleasure. Not even difficult to mount onto the rim either. Pumped up first time and has stayed that way for over an hour now. :clap:

I must say they are the best tyres I've used as a front tyre. :thumbup: