Shock Settings

Oden

We need a little bit more info to help you... what make and what bike? What kind of terrain do you ride? It's usually set up by setting the % sag or according to the air pressure / weight setting if it's an air fork. A good bike shop should be able to assist you with this.

Here are some videos to get you started: http://www.google.co.za/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=pinkbike+suspension+setup

I also purchased a new bike 2 weeks ago a merida matts lite 1000 HT. It comes with a rockshox recon gold, While doing some technical downhill trails at tokai my travel was at most 90%. Are the standard settings any good or should I have it tuned at my LBS.

Tokai was actually my first MTB trail so i'm a complete novice but consider myself a little dare devil..he..he, but thoroughly enjoyed and definitely hooked. :thumbup:

Edited by absmad

A shock doesn't have any standard setting, only adjustments. First you need to set the sag. This is how much the shock compresses from your body weight when stationary. On a xc bike around 20 to 25 %. Then the rebound damping , which is how fast the shock comes back up. Too slow and it won't come up all the way before the next bump. Too fast and your wheel will bounce all over and you will probably crash. Then there is compression damping, propedal, lockout , travel adjust and more. Take it to the shop you bought it from or your local lbs and get some help for a basic setup. Then on the trail you can fiddle around and always go back to the basic setup if you get lost.

A shock doesn't have any standard setting, only adjustments. First you need to set the sag. This is how much the shock compresses from your body weight when stationary. On a xc bike around 20 to 25 %. Then the rebound damping , which is how fast the shock comes back up. Too slow and it won't come up all the way before the next bump. Too fast and your wheel will bounce all over and you will probably crash. Then there is compression damping, propedal, lockout , travel adjust and more. Take it to the shop you bought it from or your local lbs and get some help for a basic setup. Then on the trail you can fiddle around and always go back to the basic setup if you get lost.

I see you mention 20-25% on a XC bike, any recommendations for a Trail bike?

For a trail bike 25 to 40%. I run 40% sag on my dh bike and about 35% on my trail bike, but it has 180 mm travel! Its not a set in stone rule, more a guideline. It also depends on your riding style. I tend to stay more on the ground than hitting big jumps for height so softer settings are ok.

Thanks for the advice I meant factory setting, will take it to my Lbs for a proper setup.

cheers