Scott Aspect 20 vs Marida Matt 300D? Please HELP!!

The Grip

Hi guys I'm looking at buying my first mountain bike. And being a newbie and not knowing anything I please need your input. My current budget is R5000-R6500. I've been doing some research and have come up with the following 2 options - Scott Aspect 20 and the Merida Matt 300D. Do you have any advice on which option would be better? If there is anything else I should look at in this price range please let me know. Scott Aspect 20 Frame Aspect Alloy 6061 D.B., Performance geometry, Integrated headtube Fork Suntour XCR with Lockout, 100mm travel Headset Ritchey Logic OE integrated Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore RD-M592, 27 Speed Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio FD-M430, 34.9mm Shifters Shimano Alivio SL-M430, R-fire plus 2 Brake Levers Shimano BL-M445 Disc Brakes Shimano BR-M446 Disc, Hydr. Disc Crankset Shimano FC-M430-8, silver, 44Ax32x22 T BB-Set Shimano BB-ES-25 Handlebar Scott Aspect OS, 640mm, black, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 8° backsweep Stem Scott Comp JD-ST57 A Pedals Wellgo C 128 Seatpost Scott Comp, 31.6mm Seat Scott Aspect Front Hub Scott Disc Team CL Rear Hub Shimano FH-RM 35-CL Chain KMC X9 Cassette Shimano CS-HG50-9, 11-32 T Spokes 15 G, stainless, black Rims Alex XC-44 Disc 32H, black Tires Schwalbe Black Jack, 26 x 2.1, 50TPI

Merida Matt 300D

Speeds 27 Size [14.5]-16-18-20-22-[24]"" Frame Matts TFS Comp-D Color1 [1]White[black/Blue] [2]Silk Black[Team Green] Fork SR Suntour XCM-HLO 100 Derailleur Front Shimano M390-9 Derailleur Rear Shimano SLX-9 Shifter Shimano Alivio Rapidfire Brake Lever attached Brake Tektro Draco 180/160 Chainwheel Shimano M430 Octa 44-32-22 CG Bbset Shimano Octalink Chain KMC Z99 9s Hub Disc Alloy / Shimano M475 Disc Rim Merida Comp D Freewheel Shimano CS-HG20-9 11-34 Spokes stainless silver Tire Merida Race 2.1 Handlebar Merida Comp OS 640 R25 Handlebar Stem Merida Comp 1 OS Headset A-Head OS Seat Post Merida Comp 31.6 Saddle Merida Sport Pedal

XC Alloy

Thanks - any advice or previous experience with these bikes would be helpful.

There's really not much in it between those two offerings. The Merida in Team Green/Black is very good-looking. Try to ride both and see which you prefer - or prefer the look of. You'll be wanting to upgrade soonish in any case, once the bug's bitten.

Check second hand bikes in that price range you can pick up a nice deal if you be patient. If you Want a new bike - go ride both you'lle know in a heart beat

Check second hand bikes in that price range you can pick up a nice deal if you be patient. If you Want a new bike - go ride both you'lle know in a heart beat

Listen to the man, he ha got a very valid point here!! Twice the bike at half the price.

Well i would agree with the orther hubbers its a matter of choice really i had the merida d500 mattis bike 2011 and i rode it but wasnt comfortable and i shoped for another bike and one of my mates had a scott . so i took a ride on it and was hooked and bout myself a scoott aspect 20 last year .

i lloked new and they didnt have my size and i was lucky enough to get one in the junk mail . and was brand brand new . but look on the hub i saw some nice bikes on the adverts mate

• 2 months later...