In search of Anysberg

Mr Legs

In the late ‘90’s when the internet was still in its infancy and one had to rely on printed matter and word of mouth for information, there was a small pocket sized book titled Mountain Bike Trails. This was our sole source of official trail information, so one long weekend in May about ten families went camping in the Karoo between Barrydale and Ladismith. Our primary aim, not disclosed to our loving spouses and girlfriends, was to ride two of the trails recorded in the little book, Grootvadersbosch and Anysberg.

Grootvadersbosch was a great ride. In those days, we referred to such trips as “an epic trip”, you might be aware that a certain Mr Vermaak usurped the phrase for another extremely sucesfull mountain bike event. That aside, those were the days when you bought a Rock Shox Judy or Indy for R1500,00, replaced your rigid fork and then your Gary Fisher Hoo Koo a Koo with its grip shifts was the best bike in the group. On the Grootvadersbosch trip, we got lost, lost each other, my one buddy Andre even lost his bike for an hour or two, but the mountain bike gods found us and smiled down upon us and we had fun. We got back to the camp site, battered, muddied and bruised but full of stories about our, ermm epic trip. (Sorry Kevin).

That night, by the flickering light of the camp fire we opened Mountain Bike Trails and studied the trip notes on the Anysberg trail. The plan was to load the bikes on a bakkie and drive to Anysberg, ride the trail and then be back, well in time to break up camp and to drive back to Cape Town. That was the plan.

So the next morning five of us got up early, had breakfast, (last night’s leftover wors and lamb chops) and loaded our bikes. We drove down to the R62 and took the road towards Ladismith. After a while I asked if anyone knows where the turnoff to Anysberg is. Silence. There is sure to be a sign at the turnoff , someone suggested. Some more silence. Then Harry the dentist said that he heard the trail is part of the Anysberg Nature Reserve. Slowly we came to realise that we were still very far from Anysberg. So we decided to take the next gravel road and cycle along that road with us taking turns driving the bakkie. We found a road and unloaded the bikes and started cycling.

Smooth Karoo gravel road, I took the first turn with the bakkie, after about 10 km Michael came back to the bakkie and complained about his bike, then about his chest and the about his leg. So you would rather be the driver, I asked.

For the next two hours we cycled through the open Karoo, we went past an abandoned railway station, no tracks, no sleepers, just the name of the station, Hondewater. This station will never again see a train. A few rain clouds formed overhead, a quick shower cooled us down and we cycled on. We came across a farmer who just killed two jackal who were killing his sheep. Two beautiful animals lying dead on the back of his bakkie. I would not have killed them, but it was not my sheep being killed.

We took a break next to the bakkie and replenished our liquids. Barry and Michael decided that they will take the bakkie back to the camp site and start breaking camp. (Yes their wives are sisters and are two real strict women). That left three of us, me an average cyclist, Harry the dentist, a big strong man and C the best of us by far. A few years later he came third in the vets section in Mr Vermaak’s race. I decided to leave first, the other two, being much better cyclists, will surely catch up with me soon. I left as Harry and C were still busy at the bakkie. A few minutes later the bakkie came past, Barry at the wheel, he slowed down and leaned out of the window. I just want to warn you, he said, those two have plans to ride you into the ground. Thanks for the warning, I said.

I was feeling good, everything was fine, the bike, the body, the road and I pedalled as hard as I could. For the next hour I was on my own, just a lonely Karoo back road, every now and then I peeked over my shoulder, but Harry and C was still behind me, I could not even see them. I decided to give everything I have, they will have to work hard to reel me in. Another hour went by and I could now see them, slowly gaining on me. I was still pedalling hard, but they were working together and eventually they pulled in alongside me.

Ja, said Harry, you told Barry that today is the day that you are going to ride us into the ground, you nearly succeeded. Harry, I said, we have been set up.

We rode the last ten or so k’s together and when we got back to the camp, Barry and his family were packed and ready to leave. Had a nice ride? he asked.

Epic, Barry, it was Epic.

Edited by Mr Legs

Stunning story! Thanks. The way rear epic memories are made.

In 2005 I bought "Moutain Biking Trails in SA" by Jacques Marais (great photographer nowadays) and Susan Mills - wonder if it is the same book you are referring to?

Anysberg Nature Reserve is now on the Freedom Challenge route. Some hate the area. I think it is stunning.

(Makadas Adventures also went through there.)

Tell us more such stories...

Stunning story! Thanks. The way rear epic memories are made.

In 2005 I bought "Moutain Biking Trails in SA" by Jacques Marais (great photographer nowadays) and Susan Mills - wonder if it is the same book you are referring to?

Anysberg Nature Reserve is now on the Freedom Challenge route. Some hate the area. I think it is stunning.

(Makadas Adventures also went through there.)

Tell us more such stories...

I dug out the book, the full title is A Guide to Mountain Bike Trails - Western Cape by Paul Leger. Published in 1997.