Size 54 or 56??

Ingo

So here I am, thinking of getting a road bike after a few years of MTB'ing. I got myself measured up at the LBS and I was told a size 54 is right for me.

Is it just me or does a 54 road bike feel like a tricycle compared to a Medium sized MTB? I like my 96'er with lots of space and I don't feel cramped at all. Sitting on a 54 road bike I first of all feel the thing is going to break - well, it's just a mental thing anyway, those thin wheels just make me nervous.

Anyhow, the question is actually... If I buy a size 56 frame what would the drawback be, if any, or should I stick to the PC program that spit out the magic number of the universe (54) after being poked and proded in all the sensitive place :-)

Ingo

I'm 1.76m and I have two medium MTBs. I had a 54cm road bike(Scott), which I changed for a 56cm Scott and it felt just too big. I was never comfortable. Eventually landed up with a shorter stem, but was still not happy. I'm back to a medium (compact geometry 50cm; equivalent to a 54cm), and very happy again.

Hmm... seems like wise words that will save me a lot of pain in the future.

Thanks,

Ingo

You can make a smaller frame fit but a frame that is to big will be twitchy and you won't enjoy it.

How tall are you?

You can make a smaller frame fit but a frame that is to big will be twitchy and you won't enjoy it.

How tall are you?

I'm normous :-) LOL!!!

+-1.77m

Edited by Ingonis Normous

I'm normous :-) LOL!!!

+-1.77m

I am 1.76 and I ride a 54cm toptube on my road bike with a 120mm stem.on my mtb I ride a medium with a 58cm TT and 100mm stem.after riding a mtb a road bike does feel a little funny and uncomfortable but you will get used to it after a few rides.

I am 1.76 and I ride a 54cm toptube on my road bike with a 120mm stem.on my mtb I ride a medium with a 58cm TT and 100mm stem.after riding a mtb a road bike does feel a little funny and uncomfortable but you will get used to it after a few rides.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Hi

I'm 1.86 and my first rd bike was a size 58..It was an amazing bike with sram red and all bells and whistles..but it just never felt comfortable almost cumbersome..I've subsequently purchased a 56 with slightly longer seatpost but I love riding now feels more responsive I can flick and throw bike easier. The position is mire aggressive which increases fun factor.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Cana

Dude importance of corrected sizing is fundamental I had a size bigger and believe me uncomfortable as hell smaller might work. If ur length is 1.77 u def 54 advice would be to go to ur LBS and get them to do proper sizing cause remember ur set up also depends on ur style of riding. Get it right the 1st time