Race 2 Sun - Gravel v Mtb

Charity85

Hey hubbers

Got a late entry to r2s, my bike options are Momsen R355 and Trek Top Fuel. Not sure of current route conditions but the Momsen feels like ideal bike for this race, I have it on a pair 45c so should be able to cope with most obstacles. Thoughts for a newbie to race and route?

Sunday bump, any opinions/info on Bike selection and course conditions will be welcomed

The Pros win this with gravel bikes. The only section that I can remember that you have to take with momentum is the short rocky section getting out of the railway section. The body typically takes a greater beating on a gravel bike, but you should be faster on it for this race.

6 hours ago, peetwindhoek said:

The Pros win this with gravel bikes. The only section that I can remember that you have to take with momentum is the short rocky section getting out of the railway section. The body typically takes a greater beating on a gravel bike, but you should be faster on it for this race.

Thanks ended up prepping the Momsen so going for a fast effort, done a few 100 millers with it before where mostly mtb rode so rate with what I heard almost ideal for this event as it's quite mild

Did it on the gravel bike last year. Will do it on the mtb this year, only because the body will be tired from a long flight home on Friday.

Little bit of corrigation after the halveway mark. Probably for about 20km.

Then about 10km of railway service road (a bit rocky) from about 145 - 155km.

Gravel will almost always be faster on this route.

Good day. Gravel is a harder ride on the body but faster in my opinion on that route any day of the week 🫡 so if you want to race it = gravel, if you want to ride it for fun/participate and not so much worried about time = MTB   Thomas 😊🚴‍♂️

10 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Saying this tongue in cheek but I would say if you own a gravel bike but decide to do the national gravel champs on your mtb then you need to consider that owning a gravel bike is possibly a waste of your money.

Agree. Last year the 1st MTB in was 36th overall

Only have done this race once, and on a gravel bike, the only feedback I have is a gravel bike. I'm pretty sure if you are going to gold, a MTB would not get your prize. There is no needs for a dual sus bike at all.

On 5/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, mecheng89 said:

Only have done this race once, and on a gravel bike, the only feedback I have is a gravel bike. I'm pretty sure if you are going to gold, a MTB would not get your prize. There is no needs for a dual sus bike at all.

My problem is I only have a HEAVY D/s.

Maybe the answer is in between. a Hardtail MTB might be the best bike for national gravel champs 😂