Attacks on cyclists in KZN

geecee

Taken of FB

WARNING :

Cyclists cautioned in wake of attacks

March 29 2012 at 02:00pm

A Pietermaritzburg club has warned cyclists to travel in groups after cyclists were robbed and assaulted in the Cedara area in two incidents within a week.

Ingrid Flint of Jowett’s Cycling Club said seven members had been robbed of their expensive bicycles and accessories in the past two months, as they cycled through the forests outside Hilton.

On Monday, a cyclist was badly beaten with an iron pipe by a gang of four men.

His bicycle and other belongings, including his cellphone, were stolen.

“Cyclists need to ride in groups,” Flint said. “They can no longer ride alone or even in pairs.”

Police spokeswoman Lieutenant Joey Jeevan, said the police were investigating the two cases of robbery that had been reported to them – Monday’s incident and another on March 21.

“In both incidents, the cyclists were assaulted, and all their belongings were taken from them,” she said.

Jeevan asked anyone with information regarding the robberies to contact the police.

In March 2011, David Marais, 47, was held up by two men with knives while cycling near the Oatlands dumpsite in Margate.

“The men took his bicycle, heart-rate monitor and wedding ring,” police spokesman Captain Gerald Mfeka said.

Noel Baker, the chairman of the East Coast Cycling Club, said he had heard of four incidents of cyclists being robbed of their bicycles in the Mount Edgecombe area, although none involved club members.

“To be safe, we always ride in groups of no less than four cyclists,” he said.

Mr Price Cycle Club chairman Kelvin du Sart, said “hijacking” of cyclists was not uncommon.

“About two years ago, we had quite a few incidents in the Botha’s Hill area,” he said.

“Once there was an elderly cyclist who was robbed of everything, including his clothes. He was left standing on the side of the road in his underwear.”

The club has since invested in back-up vehicles, which follow cyclists on their morning routes.

“Since then we have had no incidents,” Du Sart said. - Daily News