Lesotho Sky – The most spectacular MTB race in the Southern Hemisphere

Matt

The first-ever Lesotho Sky Event took place from 13th – 18th November 2011 – here are few bites of its success story.

ccs-2-0-78436900-1336570978.jpg

The Lesotho Sky Event is a new team stage race and star on the horizon, over 6 days and through the breathtaking landscapes of the Maluti Mountain Range in Lesotho – a must-do for adventure junkies and riders who seek a new experience compared to the South African racing landscape. The Lesotho Sky 2011 hosted 22 riders (11 teams) from 5 different nations of which 5 teams were from Lesotho. The youngest rider (aged 16) and the oldest rider (aged 56) both crossed the finish line at the scenic Mohale Dam and successfully completed the inaugural event. Kim Philips and Mark Adams (Team MarK’im Veterans) finished overall in 1st position (total time 25h16min45sec) closely followed by local team Tumisang Taabe and Katleho Lifahlo (Alliance Lesotho, 25h40min15sec).

ccs-2-0-59421300-1336570980.jpg

Race organisers, Christian Schmidt and Darol Howes have many years of experience of riding in Lesotho and have put together a new route for 2012 – with a special focus on single track. The Maluti Mountains are criss-crossed by cattle and foot paths and one could literally ride from East to West without touching any formal roads. The total riding distance for 2012 will be 450km with 11,500m of vertical ascent - well manageable for riders with reasonable riding experience. The lowest point of the course is 1610m and the highest point is the Blue Mountain Pass at 2620m. The objective of the Lesotho Sky is to enjoy riding in Lesotho’s pristine and untouched environment. The entries are limited to 60 riders (30 teams) this year allowing riders to escape the masses and resort to a place of tranquillity and wild beauty.

With superb reviews from last years riders as well as in Bicycling, Do-It-Now Magazine, Mountain Biking UK and more (see http://www.lesothosk...a/publications/ for details) the Lesotho Sky is bound to make more headlines this year.

You can also see some impressions of the film crew here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRRYco1F1cs

Team entries cost R16,000 (camping/lodged) or R20,000 (fully lodged) and both include 8 nights accommodation and 3 meals per day. Mechanical and medical support are up to international event standards and also the sponsors Maluti Mountain Brewery (subsidiary of SAB Brewery) and Alliance Insurance will make sure you have an unforgettable time. There are entries left – be sure not to miss out on this special event!

www.lesothosky.com

Contact the Race Director

Christian Schmidt

Call +27 725 459 032

Call +266 5855 9399

christian@lesothosky.com

Click here to view the article