Edge or CS 600 or ?

Pocketbikes

Hi All

I am new to this sport and at my age, aint trying to win any medals. I don't THINK I need a power meter (i think)Ermm

Basically, I would like to get fit. (struggling to get out my driveway)Embarrassed. Had a bike accident 2 years ago and lost a lot of muscle while the leg was in cast etc. I am looking for a system to help me with my training, but not sure what my needs are. I have read (a person's opinion) that the edge is only worthwhile if on a MTB. I have tried to do a search on this topic, but there are one or two posts, then the flaming starts on which is more accurate etc. I am even more undecided now. I am a bit of a gadget freak and enjoy playing around with these.

From your opinion, which of these would you recommend  (or another unit), that would satisfy my needs. 

For the time being (until I get a unit), how should I train? Go out every second day and give it what I got?Confused

Thanx

Go as hard as you can go for 1hr per day (excluding warm up) every second day during the week with longer rides on the weekend.

Even when you get a "unit" that is probably what you should do until you get to the point where you feel you need a coach. The Garmin is nice but why not go for the CS400 or CS200?

The Edge is just as useful on a road bike as well. 

Gadget-wise, the Edge definitely has the edge!

Thanx for the replies.

I did look at the CS 400, because of the trainer planning etc. I was just worried about the reliability of the wireless. I have read that people get interferance from cars and power lines. Apparently the CS600 is reliable in that department.

I also like the egde, hence my confusion. The post I read about the edge being better for MTB... the person said that the cs600 was better for training, but liked the GPS feature for off road tracking... but didn't like battery life...

This is like buying a cell phone... features... battery life... size...Wacko

I went thru this same process a few months back. I wanted a GPS for MTB that would track my route/ speed etc for analysis later, but also wanted a unit that I navigate with, ie follow a route / track for a rail I had not ridden before.

The Edge were more oriented around the prior than the latter. The EDGE 605 and 705 will be ideal but they are going to very expensive.

After all my research and bldg bang for buck into the equation I bought a second hand Garmin Etrex Legend. Its small enough to fit on the bike and carry while running. Its not the smallest but small enough. It holds maps (topo and street) but has no auto routing (like the in car navigation systems have). Its taken me a month of playing to figure out all the features and how to best use them but I am very happy. It all has the std features, easy to read display, syncs with my PC.

I would recommend it if budget is an issue. If not then go for the edge 705.