Advice for cycling diabetic.

flyluis

Bro, welcome to the club.

There is a lot of excellent advice here but don't take some of the detailed advice as gospel, all our bodies are different and you will learn to read your body and what works for you.

To sum up some of the good points here:

• Always have sweets on you when you ride, even if you think its only going to be a short ride, just take sweets man. I have even taped sweets under my saddle and inside my helmet.
  • Test your glucose before you ride so you know where you are.
  • Wear a medic-alert bracelet.
  • Make sure the guys you are riding with know what diabetes is and how to take care of you if you have a low,
  • Good idea to have a glucose kit on you for long rides out in the middle of nowhere.
  • If you feel you having a low, stop riding and get your sugar stable, don't ride!

Personally for my body, I have to eat some carbs before I start my ride do prevent lows.

32GI is so good it was bad for me, I was getting constant lows because of the amount of long acting insulin I am on.

Be careful of most of the recovery shakes, soooo much sugar, the 32GI recover is king!

• Make sure the guys you are riding with know what diabetes is and how to take care of you if you have a low,

Yip - Please make sure others know how to react if a situation might arise. Things go bad extremely quickly if caught off guard.

My diabetic brother is 8 years older than me and unfortunately I was not as involved in his medical assistance while he was in the house. I have had to save him twice years later and was very lucky to know the basics to recognize and rectify. One situation was 150m into the sea while snorkling.

By the way - Diabetics has just as much fun if they control it properly!

Worth reading te LCHF Diet thread. Do some research about it. There are lots of resources in that thread's first post