Weather warning for Eastern Cape

gummibear

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to upload photos here using your phone?

Send the pics to your own e-mail account, open, save and then attach as normal to your post.

post-9770-0-04393000-1350840939_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bennie that was simple

This is a picture I took of this bucket system residents are using at the bottom of Tarhet Kloof. The bridge has totally washed away and they are stranded on the other side

The following udpate was received from the Kouga Municipality at 4pm Sunday.

1) Humansdorp to Hankey. Weston bridge still flooded and the water flow seems to be increasing at this stage, not decreasing.

2) Loerie Road: Between the Gamtoos Ferry hotel en Loerieheuwel. Also watch out for rocks on the road at the hotel, as well as on the R102 as you approach the old one-lane bridge across the Gamtoos.

3) Hu mansdorp to Oyster Bay closed.

4) Humansdorp to St Francis closed.

5) Sand River bridge at St Francis collapsed at about 2:30am this morning. The provincial Department of Public Works and the contractor who built the bridge were on site this morning. They reported that the repair of the bridge could only commence once the water has subsided.

In the meantime pedestrians have been crossing the river some way further up river among the dunes. We would advise against this, if possible, as we cannot guarantee people's safety and they cross at own risk. The NSRI has also been helping to get people across and can be contacted on 082 990 5969 for further info.

All the causeways in the Hankey and Patensie area are overflowing, in particular, the Milton and Andrieskraal bridges. The Paradise Beach causeway in J'Bay has also started overflowing but is still open and being monitored. Residential roads that have had to be closed, include Johan Muller Boulevard in Paradise Beach and Shearwater Drive in Cape St Francis.

post-9770-0-04393000-1350840939_thumb.jpg

This is a picture I took of this bucket system residents are using at the bottom of Tarhet Kloof.

Same area this morning

254264_10151103278902934_346820669_n.jpg

487068_10151103278502934_1473102362_n.jpg

391724_10151103278722934_35485277_n.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Yeah I think my photo is from the other side. I have never seen so much water gush thru a small space like that. It was an incredible site

The most recent report from the Nelson Mandela Bay municipality indicates that the following roads were closed due to the heavy rains we have experienced over the past few days.

• Upper Seaview Road
  • Third Avenue dip, Newton Park
  • N2 at Blue Horizon Bay
  • Blackthorne Avenue in Forest Hill
  • R333 Kudu Kloof
  • Culturama Road in Rocklands
  • Kempston Road and Cresswell Road intersection
  • Intersection of Old Uitenhage Road and Nooitgedacht Road
  • Riverstone Bridge
  • Boundary Lane in Mount Pleasant
  • Izinyoka Road in Govan Mbeki area

The bridge between Booysen Park and Kleinskool off the old Uitenhage Road also collapsed last night, while the Chelmsford Avenue bridge off Targetkloof collapsed on Saturday evening.

There is also a large section of Third Avenue Walmer, on route to the Port Elizabeth Airport, that has also collapsed.

A section of the road surface of the left hand lane of Brickmakers Kloof, heading down from Central towards Bridge Street has also washed away and motorists are advised to exercise caution in this area.

Reports also indicate that the area of the N2 near the Standford Road offramp, which was affected by previous rainfall, is once again extremely uneven and may cause additional delays this morning.

This a new section of road that was built for 2010 WC.Makes you wonder about the quality of work?

576850_10151291617051340_1245962682_n.jpg

3cm thick layer of tar on a bed of gravel. Yep, that's going to hold just fine.

This a new section of road that was built for 2010 WC.Makes you wonder about the quality of work?

576850_10151291617051340_1245962682_n.jpg

Not defending the workmanship, but with that amount of water, the soil will be shifting when saturated and the ground can collapse. In which case it doesn’t matter how good your foundations/base layers are, if there’s no ground for it to sit on it will collapse. It doesn’t matter what you do to plan, design construct; it’s very difficult when mother nature gets this angry.

Lake Farm. This is scary... The road drops down a little as it curves to the left. Looks at least a meter under the water.

http://www.algoafm.co.za/img/Gallery/2012_Eastern_Cape_Weather_Conditions_-_October_/galBig2012102281837355.jpg

Lake Farm. This is scary... The road drops down a little as it curves to the left. Looks at least a meter under the water.

http://www.algoafm.co.za/img/Gallery/2012_Eastern_Cape_Weather_Conditions_-_October_/galBig2012102281837355.jpg

@Bennie Dikwiel

What road are you using to get to PE from Seaview?