Cycling SA decide No Juniors to Worlds

Grant G

Just a "beef" I have to share.

CyclingSA have started an initiative to grow the sport from the junior ranks so that we in SA can have more than 2 cyclists in races like TDF and Giro. They also wish to try and get a Road, a mtb xco and BMX World Champion in our lifetime. All in Elite (we have had category WCs and a MTB Downhill WC)

I agree with the initiative but question why they do not seem to want our junior cyclists to take part in the forthcoming road world champs to at least gain experience at this level. To miss the world champs mean that we will possibly lose automatic qualification for the next one and it may take years to get an entry into the Junior World champs again. It can't be the expense because they (Cycling SA) don't pay anyway. It is generally left to any selected cyclist/s to raise the necessary funds to attend themselves.

I ask why one step forward then take two backwards. After the olympic team selection debate one would have thought they had learnt.

The MTB Worlds crew is a full house, what is the reason why they are not sending Road juniors?

not sure but I am happy to see that 9 juniors are going to MTB XCO world champs - could be a road commission decision then

Unfortunately seems another CSA failure of say one thing and do another. we here so much about the need to develop riders and the sport but when it doesn't suite them they will not allow riders to advance.

Is this because they have not received the required kickback to allow it to happen? Or maybe their favorite favorites can't attend so they will just exclude anyone else from having a chance.

Surely if this is a no cost item to CSA they can allow our top juniors to go for the experience if they wish it?

We have some excellent juniors riding in Europe at the moment. These chaps have been training and racing with the hope to compete in the world champs. Come on CSA why not allow a team to represent SA?

The corporate sector will come to the party with funding all you need to do is open the door!

The MTB Worlds crew is a full house, what is the reason why they are not sending Road juniors?

Yeah, one wonders how and why this happened.

One cannot really compare road to track, but last year CSA took some juniors to the Worlds in Moscow. CSA paid a portion of expenses, but parents/sponsors in addition had to cough up between 15-25 K depending on whether new bikes and other bits of kit were “recommended” .

Whilst the kids ( and some parents) had a fantastic holiday, even our best riders were way off top 20 and in some cases top 50/100 world times. They did not have to go to Moscow to figure this out – they could simply have compared their best times in SA with published world times.

Would it not have been money better spent by CSA and the parents/sponsors to rather have trained to improve times before going overseas, rather than travel to Moscow ?

Could it be that CSA do not regard these guys as good enough YET ?

Edited by Java001

Yeah, one wonders how and why this happened.

One cannot really compare road to track, but last year CSA took some juniors to the Worlds in Moscow. CSA paid a portion of expenses, but parents/sponsors in addition had to cough up between 15-25 K depending on whether new bikes and other bits of kit were “recommended” .

Whilst the kids ( and some parents) had a fantastic holiday, even our best riders were way off top 20 and in some cases top 50/100 world times. They did not have to go to Moscow to figure this out – they could simply have compared their best times in SA with published world times.

Would it not have been money better spent by CSA and the parents/sponsors to rather have trained to improve times before going overseas, rather than travel to Moscow ?

Could it be that CSA do not regard these guys as good enough YET ?

Could be that they think they not good enough but how will they get good ? The Juniors that I am aware of that have been competing in Europe have been very competitve in international races. By the way CSA are sending (or at least selected ) 6 juniors to go to track worlds in NZ (or is it Aus) this year. So it is only the Roads world champs we are not sending Juniors to it seems. Hopefully the (CSA) will relook and maybe change their mind.