Drifting Trikes

Caerus

So yesterday I spent the day at the first proper downhill longboard skate competition in Durban North, not sure if any other hubbers may have been there?

Then there were three or four of these "Drifting Trikes", what a jol. I'm so going to be building one. They seem pretty easy to build. Does anyone else have one or know of guys that do? One of the guys there even had a suspension set up from one of MTB's he converted.

I've included a couple pics to illustrate these bikes,

post-13006-0-08020200-1344579798.jpg

post-13006-0-83284100-1344579800.jpg

post-13006-0-68807000-1344579803.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted a thread about these last year (I think). There was a link posted to a site dedicated to the genre.

OK cool, tried doing a search, but was coming up with stuff from 2008. I'll have an even more thorough search. Thanks for that :thumbup:

I've tried the downhill skating, and love it, but I'm so wearly of wipeing, now having seen some heavy falls yesterday, this thing is defintely more my cup of tea.

Used to stay in Durban North in the 90's. Where was the competition held?

Cool bikes!

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Used to stay in Durban North in the 90's. Where was the competition held?

Cool bikes!

They closed off the whole one side of Danville Ave from the top down to the round-a-bout, I've got some pics I'll try to upload.

Yeah, some other guys has solid PVC rods for back wheels, personally the wheels that would take air seem better and roll much better, then they have about a 6mm PVC strip rolled over the wheels as in the pics I posted.

OK cool, tried doing a search, but was coming up with stuff from 2008. I'll have an even more thorough search. Thanks for that :thumbup:

I've tried the downhill skating, and love it, but I'm so wearly of wipeing, now having seen some heavy falls yesterday, this thing is defintely more my cup of tea.

Learnt my lesson taking my longboard down a hill near Nature's Vally. :thumbdown:

Learnt my lesson taking my longboard down a hill near Nature's Vally. :thumbdown:

I'm keen to also take it down a offroad hill, which is why I would prefer to build one with rubber wheels instead of the solid rods converted into wheels.

Now to search the classifieds and gumtree for old frames that will be suitable.

I'm keen to also take it down a offroad hill, which is why I would prefer to build one with rubber wheels instead of the solid rods converted into wheels.

Now to search the classifieds and gumtree for old frames that will be suitable.

Talking offroad, have you ever tried mountain boarding?

Talking offroad, have you ever tried mountain boarding?

Not as yet, but that looks like a whole world of hurt coming my way, I manage to stay upright on a road, doing it offroad, eish, I would need to up my medical aid. Looks like a jol though.

Not as yet, but that looks like a whole world of hurt coming my way, I manage to stay upright on a road, doing it offroad, eish, I would need to up my medical aid. Looks like a jol though.

I tried it some years back, but nothing too hectic, just short runs on a small knoll. Still managed to see my ass though.

Mate of mine used to ride those looong skateboards wiff big wheels in the 'cane fields. Think he had a Sector 9. I say "used" since he ended up in hospital with a broken collor bone and a couple of metal bits & bobs in his shoulder.

Mate of mine used to ride those looong skateboards wiff big wheels in the 'cane fields. Think he had a Sector 9. I say "used" since he ended up in hospital with a broken collor bone and a couple of metal bits & bobs in his shoulder.

:eek: Best I don't pursue it any further then…will just settle for "mushing" the woofs around the 'burb on my board…

I'm busy trying to source a couple old BMX frames or complete bikes to convert into a Trike, but all the cheapish ones on Gumtree & the like all seem to be kiddies bikes( I'm not to keen to spend over a grand on a frame to chop it up). Would anyone know if LBS stores would have old BMX frames?

If anyone has a decent old BMX bike/ frame/ parts in a reasonable condition, I am interested to possibly take it off your hands.

Why not find a cheap steel mountain frame and then source a fork with some disc brakes. Better if you get a suspension fork and then do some bouncing, just dont all the way backwards. I smaak the one trike with the discs. How do they attach those crank arms to the wheels?

Why not find a cheap steel mountain frame and then source a fork with some disc brakes. Better if you get a suspension fork and then do some bouncing, just dont all the way backwards. I smaak the one trike with the discs. How do they attach those crank arms to the wheels?

I've thought about using an old MTB frame to, one of the bikes I saw the other day had suspension, but rather within the frame then the fork having suspension. This will be used 99% on the road, so suspension is not a necessity at all, I think disc brakes will be nice , but again not a necessity

I'm not sure if some of the trikes featured with pedals and crank arms have some sort of mechanism to allow you to pedal, which I kind of doubt, as from what I can work out, they are purely for you to put your feet somewhere.

I think to be paying about R500 for a frame and ome other bits and bobs will be OK, still need to buy materials & parts to fabricate the rest, should be about a couple grand at least to get something nice built up.

post-13006-0-57280000-1344766209.jpg

I see you can get a specific Trike Hub, so it seems you may be able to pedal if needed.

post-13006-0-11487400-1344766215.jpg

post-13006-0-86292700-1344766216.jpg

post-13006-0-83662900-1344766219.jpg

post-13006-0-91628500-1344766225.jpg

Wanna build something similar to these, so not sure of these have had specific tubeing rolled or have come straight off of an old bike, also having to look at what material type to use for a frame, I'm a bit weary of the ali frames and if the can be rewelded if need be.

I'm also busy researching where to get some old Go-Karting wheels locally in Durban, I hope that the Go- Karting tracks that are around might have some old ones.