Help PLZ.. Want to buy a new MTB

Hank the Tank

29ers are popular at the moment in SA and, as such, are still attracting a bit of a premium (and most of the sales-people's pitches in stores). You can probably get better value-for-money (in terms of components) if you buy into 26", especially if you're going second-hand. 27.5" is still only available in a more expensive portion of the market.

If you want to just try things out, I'd say buy a used bike on the hub and see if you enjoy it first. There was a carbon 26" Raleigh with good spec going for R6k a little while ago. I think you'll struggle to find a complete 29er on theHub in that price bracket.

Having said that, I saw a brand new GT Karakoram 2.0 on sale for R5,5k just the other day. This is a 29" bike and, by all accounts, a very decent and fun-to-ride frame. GT is a solid brand, and the spec on that bike is enough to keep you going (If I remember correctly, it even had a RockShox XC fork - a big boon over the Suntour's normally found in this price range). The resale value of a tried-and-trusted brand like GT might be slightly better than a brand like Titan (which can offer good value-for-money on the initial purchase), especially being a 29er.

Thank you all for your reply's.

And thanks for making the disunion more difficult for me.. cursing.gif hahaha

I check you that GT Karakoram 2.0. looks like a pretty good bike.

I know GT is a much better name in the industry at the moment but how does the specs compare to the Titan Trail ??

http://citycycles.co.za/component/virtuemart/men/mountain/x-country/2013-gt-karakoram-2-0-29er-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/79267393/2013_Titan_Trail_FREE_Shipping.html

I check you that GT Karakoram 2.0. looks like a pretty good bike.

I know GT is a much better name in the industry at the moment but how does the specs compare to the Titan Trail ??

http://citycycles.co...l.html?Itemid=0

http://www.bidorbuy....E_Shipping.html

From a quick look at the specs, the Karakoram 2.0 seems to have better parts across the board (notably the brakes and especially the fork).

The Karakoram 3.0 (cheaper than the 2.0) seems to have very similar spec to the Titan you provided a link to, but still has the "advantage" of 29 inch wheels.

I've check the GT Karakoram 2.0 yesterday and what a good looking bike. I think for about R600 more the GT is a mush better option than the Titan. I think in the long run it's much better option. I'am so happy I've joined THe Hub because this helped me so much, thanks fellow Hubbers!

I would also rather opt for a second hand 26" bike, 29ers in the same price range weigh much more and are much worse specced as stated previously.

Nothing wrong with a second hand giant xtc with full xt components.

I would however check that the second hand bike's components are not too old, if they are 10 speed then you are in the pound seats. Also buy your bike with a good frame, fork and wheels. Rest can be swopped and upgraded without too much faf.

Just my 2c's. (ps: I only started riding in February, bought a second hand 2009 specialized rockhopper for R3500 but then the upgrades began...)

29ers are popular at the moment in SA and, as such, are still attracting a bit of a premium (and most of the sales-people's pitches in stores). You can probably get better value-for-money (in terms of components) if you buy into 26", especially if you're going second-hand. 27.5" is still only available in a more expensive portion of the market.

If you want to just try things out, I'd say buy a used bike on the hub and see if you enjoy it first. There was a carbon 26" Raleigh with good spec going for R6k a little while ago. I think you'll struggle to find a complete 29er on theHub in that price bracket.

Having said that, I saw a brand new GT Karakoram 2.0 on sale for R5,5k just the other day. This is a 29" bike and, by all accounts, a very decent and fun-to-ride frame. GT is a solid brand, and the spec on that bike is enough to keep you going (If I remember correctly, it even had a RockShox XC fork - a big boon over the Suntour's normally found in this price range). The resale value of a tried-and-trusted brand like GT might be slightly better than a brand like Titan (which can offer good value-for-money on the initial purchase), especially being a 29er.

Where did you see the GT Karakoram for R5.5K was it a 2012 or 2013 model?

Personally I would look for a good 26er 2nd hand or a 26er with a "lighter" wheelset. A 29er at that pricepoint is going to have heavy wheels and that is counter productive to the advantage a 29er gives you. My 2c.....

Where did you see the GT Karakoram for R5.5K was it a 2012 or 2013 model?

I think I saw it at City Cycles in Canal Walk (Cape Town). I'm afraid I couldn't tell you any more details of year, spec etc off-hand, but I'm pretty sure it was an orange frame, if that helps oops.gif