Looking for 29er!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Guest TheEpicOne

lets go train together this weekend, can swap

GT in for repairs.......again...yes...

its only the brakes giving grief isnt it?

Well, front pistons pushed out so far saturday, new pads just not clearing enough for disc.

Rear hub rebuild/replace.....

Well, front pistons pushed out so far saturday, new pads just not clearing enough for disc.

Rear hub rebuild/replace.....

yikes...sorry bud..

yikes...sorry bud..

oh well....seems its been in the workshop more than the dirt - becoming a Ford......

Guest TheEpicOne

Thanks guys, but still no answers!!!!

Hardtail or Softail and what difference is the weight of the bike going to make?

At the moment I'm doing good on 26er FS, so I think I will go for a FS with the 29er?

Any ideas on what kind of bike to buy? Specialized / Merida / Giant / Scott?

if you happy on a 26" soft tail , then go 29er soft tail .

As said 26 or 29 hard tail is still a hard tail .

Thanks guys, but still no answers!!!!

Hardtail or Softail and what difference is the weight of the bike going to make?

At the moment I'm doing good on 26er FS, so I think I will go for a FS with the 29er?

Any ideas on what kind of bike to buy? Specialized / Merida / Giant / Scott?

I changed over from a 26" D/S to a 29" H/T on 24/10/2012 and can't stop riding it - it is awesome. No, it is not the same as the D/S, but ride before you buy. My 26er wasn't the lightest bike, but I was under the impression that I just needed to train harder to get up the hills, that the fact that the other guys are zipping past me during climbs was due to my lack of training (and it is, but only in part). Since getting the 29er I've been climbing like an animal (ok, might only be in my own eyes) and I would drop myself on my old 26er by miles. For me, the (small) compromise in comfort from the lack of the rear shock is totally worth the feeling of climbing, powering forward with each pedal stroke and just the general ride. Swop out with someone in your group just to feel the difference, you'll be amazed.

One more thing - ride behind a dual suspension bike (doesn't matter 26" or 29")for a while and keep an eye on the rear shock / linkage - that constant slight movement up and down or forward and back delivers the comfort, but it is also lost momentum that is not taking the bike forward. A climb on a d/s will always be more sluggish uphill than a hard tail.

A budget of R20K will get you a very nice aluminium bike (I bought my 2013 Titan 29Pro for under R14K and it is full XT). I looked at the Merida Big 9 TFS XT-D, Momsen 529, Silerback Vida and a couple of others and this was the best value for money I could find.

Happy hunting.

Guest TheEpicOne

I changed over from a 26" D/S to a 29" H/T on 24/10/2012 and can't stop riding it - it is awesome. No, it is not the same as the D/S, but ride before you buy. My 26er wasn't the lightest bike, but I was under the impression that I just needed to train harder to get up the hills, that the fact that the other guys are zipping past me during climbs was due to my lack of training (and it is, but only in part). Since getting the 29er I've been climbing like an animal (ok, might only be in my own eyes) and I would drop myself on my old 26er by miles. For me, the (small) compromise in comfort from the lack of the rear shock is totally worth the feeling of climbing, powering forward with each pedal stroke and just the general ride. Swop out with someone in your group just to feel the difference, you'll be amazed.

One more thing - ride behind a dual suspension bike (doesn't matter 26" or 29")for a while and keep an eye on the rear shock / linkage - that constant slight movement up and down or forward and back delivers the comfort, but it is also lost momentum that is not taking the bike forward. A climb on a d/s will always be more sluggish uphill than a hard tail.

A budget of R20K will get you a very nice aluminium bike (I bought my 2013 Titan 29Pro for under R14K and it is full XT). I looked at the Merida Big 9 TFS XT-D, Momsen 529, Silerback Vida and a couple of others and this was the best value for money I could find.

Happy hunting.

Thanks! This was the kind of reply I was looking for. This weekend I'm riding my friends GIANT XTC F/S....the bike is not that heavy, so I'm looking forward to see the difference in climbing. The other guy thats joining has a GIANT CARBON FRAME also 29er but a Hardtail, so i will try out bith of them.

Will keep you posted!

I have nothing to compare it to, but Anthem X29er all the way (I've owned 4 so far!)! Have to agree with the comments that there is no physical way a 3" increase in wheel diameter can match 4" of suspension travel on the rear... Unless you're trying to win something, go for the balance between race and comfort that a good XC dual offers IMO. Unless you're going for carbon, there really isn't a huge difference in weight between the 2 and good rear suspension should make climbing very similar.

Edited by Edge_Design