cycleLINKS - The Bicycle: Breaking Social Barriers and Redefining Art

standzy

Discover, motivate, engage and LINKup into the common momentum!

18h15 | Tuesday 20th November, 2012 | The Bijou | Obs | Cape Town | South Africa

Activists, enthusiasts, artists and life-style riders share stories about the historical commuter lifestyle in Cape Town and what it means #commutingeveryday today

Guest of Honour:: LOUIS de WAAL – A visionary, Louis has long used the bicycle as a tool to break down the walls of the apartheid legacy. Original Argus participant and lifestyle activist for NMT facilities, Louis has spent the last 40+ years engaging communities and shaping the city. Louis supports the idea of using the bicycle as a tool of empowerment and a way to enjoy life more fully. Activist, storyteller and lifestyle commuter, Louis shares his insights and experiences around transforming our communities.

Followed by more SPEAKERS/COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS/RAFFLE

GAIL JENNINGS:: publisher of the Cape Town Bicycle Map, founder of Mobility magazine, and NMT researcher & consultant in South Africa, Ride Your City

JACQUES SIBOMANA:: came to RSA from Rwanda as a refugee and describes himself as "just the guy next door who cycles to work"

ATANG TSHIKARE:: a dedicated lifestyle commuter, designer, artist, and custom urban bicycle creator - Atang redefines how we engage with the bicycle as an art form Zabalazaa

SIPHIWE NGWENYA:: Director of Maboneng Arts Experience, an alternative and creative public arts festival; turning homes in the township into galleries and the outdoors into performance spaces

cycleLINKS 0.5::

MABONENG ARTS EXPERIENCE - Gugulethu – Sat, 24th Nov, 11h – 16h

BIKES + CREATIVITY = ZEBRA BIKES! (Details announced at cycleLINKS 0.45)

Create your inner animal: cycle to Gugulethu & contribute to MABONENG

ANNOUNCEMENTS:: Bicycle Film Fest | Upcyles | National Skate Collective… & more

cycleLINKS 0.45 INFO::

Plenty of safe and secure bike/skate parking available | R5min donation (NMT) R10 min (petrol users) - gets you into the raffle (even the organizers are donating) | Raffle Prizes = 4 full screenings tickets to the #BFFCapeTown | Local craft beer, wine cash bar.