Route from City Bowl to Pinelands

lloydkayak

Hey,

Another colleague is also keen to try get from the city bowl to Pinelands.

I know the Albert road upgrade is on the cards but does anyone know a safe route he could take?

Thanks in advance

Unless you own a boat, Albert road and Victoria Rd are about your only options. From the circle it's either Voortrekker through Maitland , then Cannon, Sunrise Circle, Jan Smuts and Forest, or Liesbeeck Parkway, Durban Rd, Raapenberg Rd, Forest Drive.

For me - Albert rd and Liesbeeck Parkway. There's a bike path next to the river that should help you recover from the taxis on Albert.

I either take the N1 from the Foreshore and then go up over Lower Church bridge into Woodstock or join the MyCiti bus route from the beginning and then again go up onto Lower Church bridge and into Woodstock. From there it's straight through to Liesbeeck, Durban Rd and Pinelands

Hi, I usually go from Pinelands (Forest Drive) towards Rondebosch onto Raapenburg. Right onto Klipfontein and then right onto the very nice bicycle path along Liesbeek Parkway. Left on Station all the way up to Main and then into town that way. It's a good route because there are long sections of bicycle lanes and Main is actually good for cycling because there is a lot of congested traffic.

Enjoy.

could take the bus lane/bike lane into paarden eiland and then come though koeberg interchange but thats busy at peak times, if you go via salt river circle juts need to get down black river park way and then theres a cycle lane and tuen left by the fat cactus.....painted bike lane going into pinelands too....

Albert road/N1/Bicycle lane till lower church street

Liesbeek Parkway (bicycle lane)

Klipfontein Road

Raapenberg road

Central and Union avenue etc (I avoid Forest Drive)

Best bet is Foreshore via N1 , onto Lower Church then hop onto Albert road all the way down Voortrekker, over the bridge at Koeberg into Berkley and straight past abbatoir to Jan Smuts at Sunrise circle. I dont trust riding alone on Bmt from Church to Cbd. Alternately take Albert road past Hartleyvale, up Durban road and left into Raapenberg over N2 into Pinelands

Best bet is Foreshore via N1 , onto Lower Church then hop onto Albert road all the way down Voortrekker, over the bridge at Koeberg into Berkley and straight past abbatoir to Jan Smuts at Sunrise circle. I dont trust riding alone on Bmt from Church to Cbd. Alternately take Albert road past Hartleyvale, up Durban road and left into Raapenberg over N2 into Pinelands

Most direct route if you heading towards Jan Smuts Drive.

What do you guys think about coming out of Pinelands where Forest Drive becomes Raapenberg? I do it but I worry about my kids who do not yet have road sense. Once you get to Mowbray or Rondebosch you are pretty much OK again.

Do that section twice a day.

Just be careful and say a pray before the section.

Use my hand to signal that I am going straight and look behind to see if the cars are waiting etc.

Do that section twice a day.

Just be careful and say a pray before the section.

Use my hand to signal that I am going straight and look behind to see if the cars are waiting etc.

I do exactly the same route 3 to four times a week... Let's Ride actually showed me the route. I had not had issues when looking behind me at the drivers and indicating I was going straight. I got a bit complacent the other day and assumed a taxi had seen me, he hadnt but only a close call, luckily no bruises.

I reckon if one goes carefully its ok.

There's an old skinny guy that rides this section everyday in overalls, he gets off his bikes and walks across the intersections??

I do exactly the same route 3 to four times a week... Let's Ride actually showed me the route. I had not had issues when looking behind me at the drivers and indicating I was going straight. I got a bit complacent the other day and assumed a taxi had seen me, he hadnt but only a close call, luckily no bruises.

I reckon if one goes carefully its ok.

There's an old skinny guy that rides this section everyday in overalls, he gets off his bikes and walks across the intersections??

Eish. Sorry to hear. Makes me literally shiver.

The skinny guy works at Old Mutual.

Probably the best option if you don't mind walking.

Edited by Let's Ride