Tubbies and Latex

Deon_Nivvy

Is it more benefical to put a latex into tubbies to help seal punctures or to rather carry a bottle in you pocket incase you do puncture then to put it into the tubbie.

I've heard the latex over time damages the tubbie.

Latex doesn't do damage to tubes, whether they're in a tubbie or not. However, latex dries out over time leaving lumpy deposits inside.

Using CO2 to inflate when there's latex inside renders the latex useless.

Your problem is not the sealant, but the tubbie. Tubbies are an anachronism from the 50's.

Switch to clinchers and get on with life.

Your problem is not the sealant, but the tubbie. Tubbies are an anachronism from the 50's.

Switch to clinchers and get on with life.

Unfortunately switching to Clinchers isn't an option right now.

So it's better to put the sealant into the tubbie and riding it.

Edited by Deon_Nivvy

Unfortunately switching to Clinchers isn't an option right now.

So it's better to put the sealant into the tubbie and riding it.

I'm pulling your leg. Switcing isn't an easy option once you own something. Latex does dry out with time and heat exacerbates the drying out. Once a tubbie is full of rubber latex balls, it's screwed. So look after it, keep it out of hot cars and out of the sun when not in use, and never bomb it.

You could also try one of the non-latex sealants, like No-Flats. It was vigorously discussed here about a year ago.

Tufo puncture juice worked well for me, even though I did not often use their tyres. It is latex based, though. I never used a bomb on a tubbie, I only raced with them if we had a team car with spare wheels. The purpose of the stuff is not to have to stop in the first place. Here is a review:

http:// http://m.competitivecyclist.com/review-tubes--glue/tubes--glue/Tufo-Tire-Sealant.1423.html

I ride with clinchers nowerdays.

Edited by Christie

Well thats the case Christie, when I was racing it was easy, simple tyre change and a bit of pacing and boom back in the bunch. I don't race anymore but still want to ride the wheels.

Edited by Deon_Nivvy

I have bontrager super juice in my tubbies and no drying or lumping that I have noticed after almost 3 years. Can also vouch for it's sealing properties

I have bontrager super juice in my tubbies and no drying or lumping that I have noticed after almost 3 years. Can also vouch for it's sealing properties

Who stocks that.