tiagra to 105 shifters

alleyne

Hey all.

I have the chance to get some new 5700 105 shifters for a good price. I’m currently riding a Giant TCR 2 (2011 & tiagra 9 speed group set). I would like to slowly upgrade to full 105.

So my questions are:

a) If I install the new 105 shifters will I have any compatibility issues with my current setup?

B) What would be a realistic price to sell the second hand pair of tiagra shifters (in great condition) for?

Cheers

Edited by alleyne

I wouldnt pay more than R500 for a really nice pair of 9spd Tiagra's. Remember if you go 9-10 spd you need to change everything i.e. front deraileur, chain, rear deraileur and cassette. Buy the 105's now and wait to fit them as you get the rest. Putting stuff on and taking it off is a costly labour bill. IMO I would upgrade to Ultegra rather.

Edited by MCipollini

Hey all.

I have the chance to get some new 5700 105 shifters for a good price. I’m currently riding a Giant TCR 2 (2011 & tiagra 9 speed group set). I would like to slowly upgrade to full 105.

So my questions are:

a) If I install the new 105 shifters will I have any compatibility issues with my current setup?

cool.png What would be a realistic price to sell the second hand pair of tiagra shifters (in great condition) for?

Cheers

changing from 9 to 10 speed you have to change at least the following 3 items (FD & RD are compatible):

1. shifters (indexing is different, so no phantom shift like on the FD - see below)

2. chain (10 speed chain is narrower)

3. cassette (goes with the chain)

If you have a triple chainring, and the 105 shifters are for a double chainring you'll loose one of the outside blades (limit screw setup will determine this). If you have double chainring Tiagras, and the 105 are triple shifters, you'll have a phantom shift on the front (normally when you want to change gears quickly!)

I wouldnt pay more than R500 for a really nice pair of 9spd Tiagra's. Remember if you go 9-10 spd you need to change everything i.e. front deraileur, chain, rear deraileur and cassette. Buy the 105's now and wait to fit them as you get the rest. Putting stuff on and taking it off is a costly labour bill. IMO I would upgrade to Ultegra rather.

Should be fine with deraileurs but will need to change cassette and chain.

Deraileurs are generally not speed specific.

Should be fine with deraileurs but will need to change cassette and chain.

Deraileurs are generally not speed specific.

My apologies then. I thought at least the rear mech needs to be changed.thanks for the correction Thomo.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input and advice. Was hoping nothing else had to be changed so will pass on the offer.