New Road Hubs

HDW

Hi Guys

I have a noob question, which I can't seem to find the answer for on the Hub or Google, for that matter.

I was just wondering if it is worth spending about more or less 1500 Randelas on a pair of road hubs? Do they really make as big a difference as on a MTB?

Should state that I currently have the Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels on my road bike (Racing 7 rims with Racing 5 hubs, made for Specialized), and they feel real decent. I'm just itching for an upgrade or two, and have been wondering about hubs.

Thanks in advance thumbup1.gif

Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo, so you've already got really decent wheels there.

I'd rather save up some more randelas and get a better set of Fulcrums later on... you'd be better off dropping 200/300g on a wheelset than upgrading the hubs.

Factory specific wheels like your Fulcrums require hubs and parts that are specific to them, as opposed to traditionally built wheels.

The problem you will encounter is finding a set of hubs to suit your fulcrum spokes and rims. Them will probably have to be Fulcrum hubs...

You might be better off selling your wheels and buying a lighter set.

Or get some traditional style hubs and rims ie.32 hole Mavic open pro rims and 32 hole shimano hubs... and get a good wheel builder to buils you a classic wheelset..

Awesome advice, thanks guys. I was on the brink of buying new hubs, and never realised they needed to be spoke and rim specific blush.png .

I will definitely then rather save up some more money and later buy better wheels - hubs and all included.

To be honest, the Fulcrum 6's are real comfortable, and really roles well, so I must perhaps just let this upgrade-itch pass this month...