Membership blues!

Maniax

I am requesting the collective wisdom of my fellow hubbers again. Being a newbie to road cycling it is quite a bowl of mash potatoes to figure out where to get what membership for what end.

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms and slowly :eek: the difference between Pedal Power and Cycling SA , who sanction what events, what membership I need with whom, and what I don't need?

As far as I could gather Pedal Power covers race tec (one less membership to worry about).

Pardon my confused ramblings.... :blink:

Guest Smimby

Best is to join both.....CSA R75 per year...and PPA to do their races...otherwise you pay CSA per race you do...R35

Best is to join both.....CSA R75 per year...and PPA to do their races...otherwise you pay CSA per race you do...R35

What is the difference then between the R350 domestic racing membership of CSA and the normal one?

Leave these deep questions for a Friday.

Or just leave it completely. This is a whole pallet of cans of worms....

It's a mess. different guys sanction different events and you need licenses for all these dudes. I'm confused.... hahaha

Guest Smimby

What is the difference then between the R350 domestic racing membership of CSA and the normal one?

Oh now you got me, I only get the R75 one as I am nowhere near the racing bunch....I think you need to have a PPA seeding of A-D and then you need that license to race in the league....

PM Fandacious he migh tbe able to assist with that one

so basically, the essentials are the PPA (R285) membership (including the race tec chip) and the CSA (R75) license. Essential and mandatory for event participation?

Some provinces add more money to the R75 to be a member of CSA. Gauteng is another R75.

To have a Racing Licence I think you need to be a member of a Club.

Also saw on a race entry that if your seeding is more than 20% (1.20), you will be moved to Open Seeded, even if you have a Racing Licence. Perhaps someone can clarify this.

CSA is membership only - Racing license is exactly that - if you want to race for points nationally or internationally

edit: 90% of people only need membership

Edited by Stretch

So what's the difference then, if I may venture further into the dark rabbit hole, between the PPA and CSA?

Edited by Daniel Rossouw

My brother just got his racing licence. As far as I know you need a racing licence to race with the elites in races. If you dont have that licence you will race only open seeded.

So what's the difference then, if I may venture further into the dark rabbit hole, between the PPA and CSA?

It's a long, dark, sorry story.

Suffice to say the following:

I'm in Cape Town and only deem it necessary to be a PPA member.

Being a PPA member gives me timed races (both road and MTB) as well as a seeding that gets used to decide where I start in a race.

If you are not a PPA member and ride in a PPA race, you'll start at the back with all the ou tannies and ooms with a boep (no offence). Your races also won't be timed and you won't get an official result. You'll also need to pay a few rand extra for each PPA race you enter.

If the above points don't matter to you, you don't really need to be a PPA member.

Which means, PPA membership is the important one.... but, then not all funrides/events are PPA sanctioned? Back into darkness I fear! :blush:

ja dont go there....there is a thread somewhere on here that went into multiple pages about just that..PPa is for the cape only and about useful as tits on a bull to everyone else outside the cape.