Frame creak on Anthem X1 29 er

defender

I've had a creaking/cracking sound recently and after stripping and cleaning everything including skewer, pedals, seat and seatpost, headset and crank I eventually found this cracked bearing in the pivot thing. Hope this helps for anyone with a mysterious creak.post-54517-0-77345600-1451033697_thumb.jpgpost-54517-0-65819400-1451033788_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also experienced an irritating creaking sound while pedalling. Changed and replace BB, Peddles, Pivot bearings but still the sound was there. Discovered last night that there is play on the rear wheel. Putting the bike on its wheels you can hear the sound when moving the wheel from left to right in the frame.The same happens when applying pressure to the peddles the force on the cassette create the same movement and noise. The culprit seems to be some play between the axle and the Thru axle. Its a Bontrager hub with an aluminium axle going through the bearings and then fastened with the thru axle.
Will replace the bearings and the aluminium axle tonight and see what happens. Will also add some pictures as I think my explanation might not be 100% clear

Archived