2014 Rock Shox Vivid R2C - what's your experiences?

Capricorn

Right, so I got myself the latest coil shock from RS late last week. Fitted it Friday evening, only to ride it today. One ride, not enough time to really push it and fiddle with it.

post-6789-0-93496700-1376854541_thumb.jpg

But off the bat this thing activates Quick! Hell, you can compress the shock by hand. I have two other Vivids here, and NONE of them even budge a micrometer by hand. So that quick off-the-bike squeeze was very promising.

Settings:

450lbs Ti-coil

RS Vivid R2C, medium rebound, medium compression

3 clicks compression

10 clicks beginning stroke rebound

nfi about clicks of ending stroke rebound

Other:

Rear tyre: Schwalbe Muddy Mary, Vertstar, 1.9 bar.

So what's new with the 2014 Vivid? (source: Pinbike)

• Counter Measure negative spring

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9283939/p5pb9283939.jpg

http://lp3.pinkbike.org/p1pb6168857/p1pb6168857.jpg The Counter Measure spring (circled in red ) proved to be especially effective within the Vivid Air R2C, going a long way towards eliminating the added friction associated with an air spring.

• Rapid Recovery damping

• Re-worked piggyback bridge and adjustment dials

• Smoother oil flow paths for less turbulence

Within the first few pedal strokes, one can feel the negative spring kicking in. It's indirect, as the negative spring is meant to counteract the stiction created by the seals in the shock. According to RS, the negative spring drops stiction to exactly Zero, and its only in effect over the first 10mm of shock travel.

So if your frame's suspension geo results in some pedal bob, you'll feel the shock react as if its "topping out". THat's actually two things in the new shock coming into play that I haven't experienced before with previous Vivids: counter measure causing the shock to activate nearly instantaneously, and rapid recovery (and I'm assuming working in conjunction with associated newly engineered reductions in internal friction) causing the shock to recover ready for the next stroke. Out on the trail, you don't feel that 'topping out' though.

Subjective as this sentiment real is, if only because it was just one ride, the first ride with the new shock, I have to say, the bike felt more planted at the back. Planted without any harshness. Stiction in the rough can cause some interesting rear wheel deflections that makes the bike feel less planted, and this is notably absent with the new shock.

Other things I've noted:

Coil compression collar : its redesigned. The new collar lacks holes in it, so you can't use a thin allen key to turn the collar. The indentations in the collar are deeper than previous collars, so I'm presuming the thinking is you have more purchase and leverage using your fingers. Works so far, but I'm pretty sure that as dirt clogs up the thread on the shock body, turning that collar could get harder making you wish you had those holes again. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the older collars are compatible.

Adjustment dials: compression and ending stroke rebound dials easy to access and easy to turn. The beginning stroke rebound knob, which sits right at the end of the shaft, is a bit hard to access due to my frame. In general thuogh, the detents are quite vague and indistinct in one direction. Turning the other way improves the feedback so you get a distinct 'click'.

Availability:

Not freely available within ZA. Pre-ordering is essential, but I've heard that pre-2014 Vivids, that were replaced under warrantee were replaced with the 2014 model. Bit of a strange situation given there's currently no standing stock of the 2014 models. But that's just what I've heard.

Best bet at the moment, is to import it, and there is mostly price parity between overseas retailers and local shops. I got mine from Germany and it came in under what the LBS quoted me, minus the stupid 3 month wait.

Once I've ridden a bit more, I'll update this thread. But feel free to add your own experiences.

Edited by Capricorn

• 1 month later...

What bike did you slap it on >?

Trance>?

:thumbup: sooory if i missed it :lol:

hahah.. wont fit, but didnt try in case you wondering :P

its on the M9. and it's f'ing brilliant.

hahah.. wont fit, but didnt try in case you wondering :P

its on the M9. and it's f'ing brilliant.

Sorry was 1/2 asleep before eskon cut my power. Awesome you still on the m9 beast,what shock was on before coil>? :thumbup:

Sorry was 1/2 asleep before eskon cut my power. Awesome you still on the m9 beast,what shock was on before coil>? :thumbup:

i had two previous generation of vivids on their: vivid 5.1, and the vivid 5.1 with thermal rod. All on the same Ti-coil. The new one is better.