Tips for the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek 2013

Guest Bridge SA

Run higher tire pressure than you would normally during the stages - 2 bars or so will greatly reduce your chances of cutting sidewalls - there are lots of shale descents that will ruin your race if you try run super low pressures.

Pack a rain jacket, lots lots bombs and spare tubes.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bridge SA
My rules to ride by:
  1. Have fun,

2. Don't get too serious, this is not your day job, refer to rule 1,

3. If the route get's really tough (which it will at some point), refer to rule 1 and rule 2,

4. Look in front of you, but don't forget to look around too - you are riding through some of the most spectacular areas in South Africa - where very few people will ever have the privelege to ride,

5. When it gets really wet (cold, hot, etc.), refer to rule 1.

Wow - We might just print your advice on a pamphlet to hand out at this years Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek... :thumbup: Great Advice! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing you in action in a couple of day's time... Edited by Bridge SA

Guest Bridge SA

Run higher tire pressure than you would normally during the stages - 2 bars or so will greatly reduce your chances of cutting sidewalls - there are lots of shale descents that will ruin your race if you try run super low pressures.

Pack a rain jacket, lots lots bombs and spare tubes.

GREAT ADVICE!!!!

Cutting side walls is a common occurrence in any MTB race - especially when traveling down hill on rocky and jagged sections of our 2013 race route.

And oooh yes - Having a bike with no spare tyre or damaged rim will most definitely add unwanted time to your race.

Thanks for the note-worthy tip! :thumbup:

Conti protection or snakeskin tyres or similar .Lot.s of stan,s in them .Take along thick elastoplast plasters .Travel light ,the watertables are excellent .Camelbak is better than bottles .Washing line and pegs .Sunblock and hat .Rain gear .Good attitude and take photo,s.If you are a coffee snob ,rather take your own

Guest Bridge SA

Great Advice! As there's no hiding from the South African sun - Sun Tan is something you don't want to be caught without...

And a camelback is great for cycling! One can event opt in for as big as 6ltr camelback if you're one of those people who dehydrates faster than they can re-hydrate.

Washing lines and pegs are those small items you normally wished you'd remembered when it's allready to late and you end up trying to buy some from people.

Without a good attitude you most likely wont have fun - So this is a MUST REMEMBER!

And yes - Good point. If your addicted to the rush of coffee in the morning and night - Be sure to bring your own or if you'd prefer your own espresso machine...

Thanks for the Tips! All worth writing down and remembering! :thumbup:

For those of us not competing for podium positions, conserve yourself during the first couple of days.

Take it easy on the Prologue and store those reserves for along the way.

After 3 days, your body starts adjusting to the race and you reach a tipping point. Getting up in the morning and on the bike is not always fun, but after 30 minutes or so on the bike, the legs are warm and back in their routine.

Your max heart rate (unless you're pro) drops as fatigue sets in, but your body seems fine with the daily grind up and down the hills.

Some riders actually get stronger as the race progresses and in my, non-scientific, opinion this has 2 reasons.

1. Other riders that started out fast are now paying the price for their early enthusiasm and you are wasting no energy overtaking them. They are working for you.

2. You are in the "Stage Race Rhythm" and your body accepts the work that it has to do. After the Pioneer you will be stronger than when you started, it's like 7 days of continuous training.

Assess in the first 2-3 days and consolidate.

If you and your partner are feeling good on day 3, consider upping the tempo a bit. You can make up lots of positions by riding within yourself, you will be surprised.

Accept that either you or your partner will have a no legs at some point in the race.

Help your partner. Ride on the front and keep him on your back wheel.

Communicate and let each other know how you're feeling. No point sucking it up and blowing yourself, just because you can't admit you're taking strain.

Ride to each others strengths. Better climber in front on the ups, better descender in front on the drops.

Keep pedaling for 10-20m once you've crested a climb. You'll be amazed at the gap you can open while others freewheel and recover. You can recover on the descent.

Find a group for the district roads. Rotate and make everyone take the front for while.No freeloading.

Say "Thank You" to the guys in the group who do most of the work.

When you get to the finish. Have a beer or a glass of wine and relive the day.

Time passes so quickly and before you know it, you're in the car back home.

And, I agree with all that Deon Kretsch has said. Look forward to seeing you out there Deon!

Edited by kandui

Guest Bridge SA

For those of us not competing for podium positions, conserve yourself during the first couple of days.

Take it easy on the Prologue and store those reserves for along the way.

After 3 days, your body starts adjusting to the race and you reach a tipping point. Getting up in the morning and on the bike is not always fun, but after 30 minutes or so on the bike, the legs are warm and back in their routine.

Your max heart rate (unless you're pro) drops as fatigue sets in, but your body seems fine with the daily grind up and down the hills.

Some riders actually get stronger as the race progresses and in my, non-scientific, opinion this has 2 reasons.

1. Other riders that started out fast are now paying the price for their early enthusiasm and you are wasting no energy overtaking them. They are working for you.

2. You are in the "Stage Race Rhythm" and your body accepts the work that it has to do. After the Pioneer you will be stronger than when you started, it's like 7 days of continuous training.

Assess in the first 2-3 days and consolidate.

If you and your partner are feeling good on day 3, consider upping the tempo a bit. You can make up lots of positions by riding within yourself, you will be surprised.

Accept that either you or your partner will have a no legs at some point in the race.

Help your partner. Ride on the front and keep him on your back wheel.

Communicate and let each other know how you're feeling. No point sucking it up and blowing yourself, just because you can't admit you're taking strain.

Ride to each others strengths. Better climber in front on the ups, better descender in front on the drops.

Keep pedaling for 10-20m once you've crested a climb. You'll be amazed at the gap you can open while others freewheel and recover. You can recover on the descent.

Find a group for the district roads. Rotate and make everyone take the front for while.No freeloading.

Say "Thank You" to the guys in the group who do most of the work.

When you get to the finish. Have a beer or a glass of wine and relive the day.

Time passes so quickly and before you know it, you're in the car back home.

And, I agree with all that Deon Kretsch has said. Look forward to seeing you out there Deon!

Comprehensive guide that you've posted. Sure a lot of of the participants (not the average professional) will read this and think - "Hey - My thoughts exactly"....

Thanks for the Great advice! :clap:

Participants : Take note of these tips and tricks, it might not sound like much , but follow them and keep them in mind and you should already be one step ahead from a lot of the riders. Following and trying out simple advice can mean a whole lot when you're in the race.

Guest Bridge SA

The Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek 2014 has been awarded UCI status!

Tip for those who can't join us this year - Be sure to mark the 2014 event on your calendar and join us next year.

Guest Bridge SA

(Not really a Tip) - If you're one of the riders who will be wearing our Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Cycling Kit - here's how it will look like just in case you're worried about how fashionable you'll look:

Edited by Bridge SA

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of questions for those who have been there:

1. What will be available at the water points?

2. Post Race recovery drinks. Will I be able to store my recovery drink in a fridge for immediate consumption after race? I like mixing Nesquick with fresh milk for a post race recovery drink but I’m trying to get my head around the feasibility of this option.

3. What facilities will be available to charge stuff like phone or GoPro

4. What will internet access be like to keep in touch with the outside world. I guess this depends on cell phone service provider but maybe they do a HotSpot at the event

5. What would be typical stage race day….

a. Wake up and go to loo

b. Eat breakfast and prep drinks

c. Get dressed and pack bags

d. Deliver bag to truck

e. make way to start line

f. Race

g. Drop bike for wash

h. Recovery drinks and bite to eat

i. Collect bag from truck

j. Shower

k. Drop cycling kit for wash

l. Short nap

m. Check bike and lube

I’m busy strategizing J and any help with these questions will be much appreciated.

(Not really a Tip) - If you're one of the riders who will be wearing our Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Cycling Kit - here's how it will look like just in case you're worried about how fashionable you'll look:

Looks good. Looking forward to riding for the Team

1. What will be available at the water points? Real Food. Sarmies, fruit, Energade, Coke,sweets, muffins,the list goes on.WP 3 also has braaied ostrich fillet.

2. Post Race recovery drinks. Will I be able to store my recovery drink in a fridge for immediate consumption after race? I like mixing Nesquick with fresh milk for a post race recovery drink but I’m trying to get my head around the feasibility of this option.No fridges available. But, buy a 1l bottle of fresh milk in your bag. Wrap in newspaper. It will last.

3. What facilities will be available to charge stuff like phone or GoPro. Available

4. What will internet access be like to keep in touch with the outside world. I guess this depends on cell phone service provider but maybe they do a HotSpot at the event. Via personal hotspot on your phone. Only Louvain could be iffy.

a. Wake up and go to loo

d. Deliver bag to truck

f. Race

g. Drop bike for wash

j. Shower

l. Short nap

m. Check bike and lube
YES to your run down, pretty much spot on.

You only forgot about the glass of wine for dinner.

I’m busy strategizing J and any help with these questions will be much appreciated.

2. Post Race recovery drinks. Will I be able to store my recovery drink in a fridge for immediate consumption after race? I like mixing Nesquick with fresh milk for a post race recovery drink but I’m trying to get my head around the feasibility of this option.

4. What will internet access be like to keep in touch with the outside world. I guess this depends on cell phone service provider but maybe they do a HotSpot at the event

a. Wake up and go to loo

d. Deliver bag to truck

f. Race

g. Drop bike for wash

j. Shower

l. Short nap

m. Check bike and lube

Guest Bridge SA

a. Wake up and go to loo

d. Deliver bag to truck

f. Race

g. Drop bike for wash

j. Shower

l. Short nap

m. Check bike and lube

All waterpoints will be fully stocked with: water/Genuine Coke/Ice/Fruit/32GI supliments/Something salty/Steak Braai at Waterpoint 3

2. Post Race recovery drinks. Will I be able to store my recovery drink in a fridge for immediate consumption after race? Post race Free Sterri stumpi and 32GI recovery drink will be handed out. Unfortunately no personal Fridge storage facilities

Free Wifi on all race venues and most Spectator points

Charging facilities at Race office

No PC facility for downloads etc

POLAR will have a service station at all venues

4. What will internet access be like to keep in touch with the outside world.

Free WIFI hotspot at all race venues

Have a look at our Race schedule on: http://capepioneer.co.za/race/schedule

It should provide you with an idea of the daily activities at the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek.

Also do not forget the Daily post supper TV and photo show

And then of course the Gala Finishers function on the last Saturday

Hope this helps.... Be sure to visit the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek's website for more details: www.capepioneer.co.za

Hope this helps.... Be sure to visit the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek's website for more details: www.capepioneer.co.za

Thanks BridgeSA and I'm impressed and it seems like I only need bring my legs :-)

Guest Bridge SA

Thanks BridgeSA and I'm impressed and it seems like I only need bring my legs :-)

Glad you're impressed with what you've seen and experienced so far rpedro. This years race; the event organizers said will be one worth remembering. There's also new and exciting things that has been planned for this years event. But that we'll keep a surprise for now... Hope you're looking forward to the start of the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek as much as we are.

• 2 weeks later...