Engen Dynamic Cycle, Race ReView

Guest Frail4Life

Guest Frail4Life

Nice pics Frail.

Go back to Bed, sleep, i am NOT finished!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

Sprinting for the Bunch Finish 3rd from this group!

post-2217-0-30990400-1384414418_thumb.jpg

Edited by F_R_A_I_L

My CSA and Driver of doom ordeal:

Email to CSA Nov 11:

The whole of AL passed a young female league group with 2 support vehicles 20 min into the race. After about 2h15 of cycling they caught up with us - about 30 AL cyclists. This was in Lady Loch road. The front support vehicle was a metallic grey Hyundai Getz. This car was riding to the right of the road of the lane, giving us room to pass on the left side of the same lane.

The vehicle behind him was a white (I think Toyota) van. Never saw the person driving it but it was a man. Vehicle too high to get a good look. This person was driving even more to the right - basically right hand side of car was in oncoming traffic. There was no way to pass right safely because of this and also since Lady Loch is too dangerous for that because of all the twists and solid white line.

As soon as we attempted to pass the Getz on the left he swerved left, pushing us off the road with his car. He did this three times. On the third time of the Getz trying to ram us off the road I passed him, I yelled at him that I'm going to report him for negligence driving as well as for assault to cause bodily harm. He just kept yelling us that we need to keep back and that we are not allowed to pass.

We sat behind them for a while. Then I broke away from my group and the league (The Getz now stopped trying to ram me off the road) in the hope my group will follow and ignore the hooligan of a driver. They did not, and so I fell back getting passed by league again, and joining with my team - they now totally fuming.

League pulled away and then after another 20 minutes, just turning into the R44, we caught them again.

At this stage the group talked among them selves conceded that for some reason we were not allowed to pass and so draughted behind the Getz and the van.

In main road Wellington lanes opened up into two lanes and I and a recumbent passed them ignoring another shout this time now from the white van that we need to stay behind. This time the group followed, and we finished in front of them.

This league behaviour is totally unacceptable. If there are rules that PPA riders need to know that are NOT available on the website (and trust me I checked), then we must be told at the start of the race. In my opinion cars should not be allowed in cycle races. Also why not have a mega phone attached to these cars?

How can a support vehicle contravene traffic laws while we are told to abide? How can PPA campaign for the 1.5m rule if league managers try to kill cyclists?

I have no chance as a cyclists to compete against a car trying to drive me off the road.

12 November from CSA:

Hi Jacques

Thank you for your letter.

I am the Chairman of the WP Commissaires and Roland is one of my Officials.

We are waiting for Roland to send us a reply to your letter.

I would also like to ask you if you can get statements from other cyclists that were with you at the time who witnessed the incident.

Yours in Cycling

Craig Hawtrey

WP Commissaires Chairman

Email from Roland 12 Nov:

Below is a copy of Roland's report

On Sunday being the Comm for the ladies cat we had a pleasant race until we got to Lady Loch road

As we approach lady loch road to left with the ladies the road becomes narrow more to the left side I was direct behind the ladies with 2 serv vechiles

I stayed there until we caught a bunch of cyclist mostly vets-The ladies passed the group of men moving to the front of the bunch I moved more right leaving space for the cyclist to pass on the leftThe white van also moved right The vets try to pass again on the left than instructed them to stay behind me its to dangerus tn pass Rider al 1039 showed me he will pass I called him back he came back showing me unmanned signs I left it until the finishline There after the white van also warned him to fall back but he ignored us We move on until the R44 heading towards Wellgton

Than only I allowed the vets bunch to pass to go to the finish Myself the 2 service vans continue the race of the ladys until the finishline Controling the race at a speed of 35km to 39km over lady Loch road protecting cyclist to there safety How do one still call u a hooligan driver I think Mr Koorts must rethink his behavier towards a OFFICIAL OR RACE COMM The safety of cyclist is my first priority Thank you Rollin Renquis

Email to CSA 13 Nov:

This is a joke.

Next time let Rollin Renquis write a report BEFORE reading mine. He just copied line for line what I said - contradicting himself where he gets confused. Then he lefts out the parts where he did/or did not ram us off the road. Also did everyone read how Mr Rollin Renquis tripped up in his own report "its to dangerus tn pass" - refering to Lady Loch. How then did they get passed us in Lady Loch? Surely danger does not discriminate?

This ordeal is becoming worst for me the longer you guys (the mailing list) are handling it.

The white van only told me to get to the back when we were on the Wellington main road which I then ignored, not during Lady Loch. Mr Rollin copied my report incorrectly.

Yes I gave him the middle finger when I fell back after he ran me off the road. Its called provocation.

Email silence since from CSA.....

Thanks Frail.

Now we have photographic evidence of all the wheel suckers in AL ;)

Seriously out of a group of 122 there were only about 15 cyclists that did any work in the front and a core of about 8 did 80%, (Outriders, Onyx, TinyK and the big guy in yellow).

I understand that not everybody is strong enough to do work on the front, but there sure were a lot of dedicated sprinters pushing their way to the front (but not quite the front obviously, because that would require work) in the last 5km. Karma is going to get you.

To Cinderella that lost her shoe @ Engen Race in Paarl. You left it lying on the side of the road. I think you you had a Hyundia Tucson.

Kindly note that I have this shoe with me - you can send me a DM we can make an arrangement tor return it.

Guest Frail4Life

Great pics ... almost as good as being a part of the action. LOL

Thank You Thomo!