Bent cranks or bent BB?

mikethebike234

yesterday I was tootling along Faerie Garden in Tokai ...actually i lie I was going as fast as I could.. and next thing I know I was lying on the ground Tangled up in my poor bike... So a few bruises and nothing serious ..but when I got back on my bike man it didn't feel so lekker the pedals felt all wonky ..so I thought I've wrecked my new pedals...not too bad .... anyways a long and weird ride back home and a change and back to work i go. This morning I thought I'd just check that it was in fact the pedals so I swopped them out with a pair of old ones I had lying in the garage..no it still felt all wonky. So I took my bike to the not so local bike shop (a bit of a drive but their mech is the best and never spins bs) He reckons at best I've bent the BB at worst the cranks are bent. If its the BB its simple replace it.... if however it is the cranks I've got a problem....The current cranks are FSA alpha drive isis drive cranks which after a bit of research on the dub dub dub are not that marvelous. So we replace with Shimano right ..wrong then I have to replace the BB as well which is just not within my budget I can probably raise about R700.00 I've had a bad couple of months workwise so funds are stupidly lacking at the moment, a new deore crankset and BB is not going to be cheap for me .... in fact I am scared even to find out. OK so maybe I replace with FSA or some other make that has isis drive cranks ...I don't know what to to do ..I just want to ride my damn bike .... :( :( :( :( :( so i wait for the mech to call me back and give me the good or bad news meanwhile if anyone out there has some idea's maybe someone has some isis cranks that are OK ..I don't know .....

it sounds like the thread area the pedal goes into is bent/loose inside the crank arm.

Edited by Zilla

it sounds like the thread area the pedal goes into is bent/loose inside the crank arm.

that sound like a possibility will have to wait till the mech gets back to me........

As it turns out the cranks are bent ....and as luck would have it I have come into a little unexpected money and have decided to just replace the whole lot with Deore.I couldn't stretch it to SLX that would have been nice ..I think I am doing the right thing Shimano stuff is much easier to get hold of ... and the write ups on those FSA alpha drives were not great...I think I going to ride a little more carefully in that Faerie garden ...lol.....