Calling the MTB Afficionados

Scooterza

Hi guys, I am on the hunt for a new MTB bike. My Merida Matts is seriously long in the tooth and needs to be retired to doing less of this:

and more things like this:

I know a bit about bikes but to be honest, the world of MTB is confusing to me. Airshock, Rock Shok, Manitou, RP23, Scott Spark, Scott Scale, Giant Anthem, Giant Trance, Merida, Santa Cruz, All Mountain, Cross Country blah blah etc.

So here's what I do know:

• RIDING STYLE - mostly 20 to 50k's, with the odd 80km distance thrown in. Multi-day racing MAY happen but not often. Mostly it's a Saturday morning ride. I ride the Braamfontein Spruit, Northern Farms, Single Track where possible. Enjoy doing small jumps and riding tricky lines over roots and rocks, up steep hills with a sharp turn at the top etc. I do race, but not to win - I race to enjoy pushing myself. And it's not often either.
  • BUDGET - Whilst I don't have a 100% fixed budget, I don't want to go much beyond R10K and preferably more like R8000. If I find the absolutely perfect bike at R12K, I will find the money. But R25K is not possible.
  • BIKE WHEEL SIZE - As I see it, a 26" bike offers so much better value in the price range I am working in. I am 38 years old and so a full suspension makes sense to me. Might be nice to get a bike that COULD be converted to 650B later.

For the guys who understand what's what, can anyone suggest a few bikes to look out for? What are the great bikes from the last 3 years or so that might be worth looking out for. Eg it seems the Giant Trance range is considered a good option. There are just so many bikes and I don't have time to drive all over Gauteng test riding them all, so if I could just shorten the list to a few bikes, that would really help me out.

Appreciate your input! Cheers

Edited by Scooterza

There's a site that tells you what frames are 650b compatible. Get that list ( Google it) and then look for it on the hub, lots of 26er second hand ds bikes going for good prices. Also ask your lbs for older 26er models ( if they have )Good luck.

Thanks DJ84, I actually have the Lector in my sights.

Be patient,

I have seen some absolute bargains lately.

I wouldn't go with too much travel for the type of riding you do(Giant trance and the likes will be pushing it),

hell I do most of those rides and I am going rigid.

There's a site that tells you what frames are 650b compatible. Get that list ( Google it) and then look for it on the hub, lots of 26er second hand ds bikes going for good prices. Also ask your lbs for older 26er models ( if they have )Good luck.

Good suggestion. But for me the biggest need I have is help with a short list of the top few bikes to think of getting. I think there's only a small chance I might convert to 650B but if there are perhaps 2 bikes in the final shortlist that I really like and the one can convert, that will clinch it.