The Classics

T-Bob

DNS for BETANCUR too

After 4th place in 2012, The Colombian has been suffering with knee problems over the last month. That makes 197 riders in the peloton today.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Martin isn't the only former champion in the peloton today. Including the Garmin-Sharp rider we have five winners of Liège–Bastogne–Liège. They are Maxim Iglinskiy (2012), Philippe Gilbert (2011), Andy Schleck (2009) and Alejandro Valverde (2006/2008).

Edited by ' Dale

After 6km of racing, the peloton is still all together. They've been riding at a pacey 39kph, which is making it difficult for a break to get established.

We have our first attacks of the day coming and a small group have managed to get away, but it's not a very big gap.

It looks like the peloton are being picky about who they let get away and the group of five has been reeled back in.

The first classified climb today isn't until 70km, but it's still not an easy start for the riders who have to navigate some hilly terrain before they reach it. In total there are 10 climbs today. Here is a rundown of the day's ascents:

Km 70.0 - Côte de La Roche-en-Ardenne - 2.8km at 6.2%

Km 123.0 - Côte de Saint-Roch - 1km at 11.1%

Km 167.0 - Côte de Wanne - 2.8km at 7.2%

Km 173.5 - Côte de Stockeu – 1km at 12.4%

Km 179.0 - Côte de la Haute-Levée 3.6km at 5.6%

Km 201.0 - Côte de la Vecquée - 3.1km at 6.4%

Km 218.5 - Côte de La Redoute – 2km at 8.9%

Km 231.5 - Côte des Forges 1.9km at 5.9%

Km 243.5 - Côte de La Roche-aux-Faucons - 1.5km at 9.3%

Km 257.5 - Côte de Saint-Nicolas 1.2km at 8.6%

There are a few changes to the course that we saw last year and the race is actually 1.4 kilometres longer. As you may have noticed in the list below the Côte de La Roche-aux-Faucons is back this year. It was missing from the route in 2013 due to road works. Since 2008, it has been the third to last climb but this year it will be the penultimate climb. This could prove crucial in deciding the victor today.

Apparently it wasn't his previous injury that prevented Carlos Betancur from taking the start today. The Colombian has been suffering with a sore throat and a headache. While he managed to make the journey to the start in the team bus, he chose not to sign-on this morning.

The riders out front are Pirimin Lang (IAM Cycling), Michel Koch (Cannondale), Jacobus Venter (MTN-Qhubeka), Matteo Bono (Lampre), Pieter Jakobs (Topsport Vlaanderen) and Marco Minnaard (Wanty Groupe Gobert)

Edited by ' Dale

The peloton seem happy with the bunch that has gone up the road. The gap has now increased to 4:30.

Edited by ' Dale

The breakaway are waiting for no man and they've extended their lead to 5:30. There's litte doubt that this will be the day's break. Their attack has also increased the average spead over the opening 30 mins to 45kph.

The gap continues to rise as the leaders ascend one of the unclassified climbs of the day. It now stands at 8 minutes.

The riders have completed 32km so far and things seem to have settled down now

231 kms to go

As we aproach the completion of the first hour of racing, the gap to the leaders has extended once again. It now stands at 11:20, after 36km of racing.