The Classics

T-Bob

The break are still working well together as back in the bunch Cannondale remain at the back of the peloton. Two MTN riders in the lead break will please the team after they failed to make the main break in yesterday's Strade Bianche.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bunch are starting to oraniser a bit more of a chase and even though the gap is at around four minutes they've chipped a few seconds off the lead.

As Pozatto, who dropped out of the race yesterday, drifts back to the team car for some instructions. Movistar currently lead the field.

Just under 65km remaining now as Movistar are looking for a bit more help in the chase. The gap is at 3'52.

The break take a sharp right hand corner as they head towards the hills. The bunch have them at 3'45 now.

Astana have started to move up towards the front of the peloton, as they sit just off the Movistar train.

Gilbert is riding near the front as well, with former Liege winner Iglingsky just to the Belgian's left. Ivan Basso, on the far ride of the peloton gets out of the saddle and starts to move to the front as well. Will the former Giro d'Italia winner try something today?

But the gap is coming down, Movistar have the leaders at 3minutes. Valverde, third yesterday, is in the peloton. Ventoso too, so the Spanish team have a number of options.

In theory, from looking at the route, it should come down to a small bunch sprint, but as last year's winner Kadri showed, anything is possible.

It's like the Rochester Classic out there, with cars parked on the road. A number of riders have to swing into the middle of the tarmac to avoid the vehicles.

Meanwhile, there are reports in Paris-Nice that Tejay van Garderen has abandoned the race.

Back to Roma Maxima and the leaders are on a small climb and the bunch have reduced the lead to 2'35.

Last year Blel Kadri (Ag2r-La Mondiale) surprised the peloton with a gutsy breakaway in the hills and his ability to hold off the chase on the road back to the centre of Rome. The Frenchman won alone, 37 seconds ahead of Filippo Pozzato, who sprinted to the line thinking he had won and celebrated with his arms in the air, only to discover Kadri had preceded him.

Bardiani-CSF have now lifted the pace, giving Movistar a rest from pacing duties. The Italian team will be looking for a result today after missing out on top ten yesterday. Pagani was in the action yesterday but he was caught inside the final 30km.

Modolo is on Pozzato's wheel. Both Lampre riders are contenders for today with the latter having finished second here last year.

52km to go and the gap is at 1'38 as the leaders tackle the thrid climb of the day.