The Classics

T-Bob

The gap is extending so it's crunch time for the peloton and the main favourites. Do they take their chances or try and bring this break back before it starts to splinter on the climbs?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having missed out on a place in Milan -San Remo Matt Goss is here for Orica. On paper the race suits him, while Hayman, who has raced well here for Sky in the past, is also in the line up for the Austrlian WorldTour team.

BMC have Daniel Oss here. The race suits the ltalian but he hasn't had too much racing so far this season.

No Cancellara in the field today, not a huge surprise given his exploits in Sam Remo. Instead Trek Factory Racing have Stijn Devolder in their ranks. The Van Poppel brothers are also in the American team's line up.

However, the most challenging sections are yet to come, with the Berendries (123km), the Valkenburg (128km) in quick succession.

The Eikenberg, at 141 kilometres, then starts a run of five bergs in 40 kilometres of racing, with the Paterberg at 169 kilometres sure to see fireworks. But another key point could arrive just after the Paterberg, with a two-kilometre stretch of cobbles leading into the final set of climbs. Hesitation or a moment of brilliance could see a rider escape and hold off the chasing pack.

There are three more climbs before the finish: the Vossenhol, Hostraat and Nokereberg, with the climb summit seven kilometres from the finish in Waregem.

A reminder of the firepower in the break: Longo, Sutton, Cummings, Millar, Irizar, Silvestre, Maes, Moeravjov, Smukulis, McCarthy, Bagdonas, Van Emden, Boeckmans, Saramotins, Vanlandschoot, Veuchelen, Vanbilsen, Van Asbroeck, Zingle, Songezo, Jarc, Schorn and Murphy

Unlike many who rode San Remo Kristoff is riding Dwars door Vlaanderen today. He's over the moon about his result he must forget it for today.

Edited by ' Dale

After his impressive victory at Milan-San Remo on Sunday, you would have forgiven Alexander Kristoff (Katusha) a bit of a break, but the Norwegian rider is diving headlong into his cobbled classics campaign.

Jarc has been dropped by the leaders so they're down to 22 riders:

Longo, Sutton, Cummings, Millar, Irizar, Silvestre, Maes, Moeravjov, Smukulis, McCarthy, Bagdonas, Van Emden, Boeckmans, Saramotins, Vanlandschoot, Veuchelen, Vanbilsen, Van Asbroeck, Zingle, Songezo, Schorn and Murphy

The peloton have shaved 30 seconds off the front group's lead, so it's down in the region of 2'30.