The Classics

T-Bob

Over the top of the first climb of the day and the race is finely balanced with the 22 man group 2'30 clear of the peloton.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“It is my first time and I am very happy to be here,” said Valverde. “The weather could be better, but I hope to have some luck. The pavé is complicated and with the rain it is even more complicated.”

Alejandro Valverde is riding Dwars door Vlaanderen, and on the cobbles, for the first time in his career. The Spaniard is hoping to use the race as preparation for Stage five of this year’s Tour de France. He got a very Belgian welcome to the race, as the heavens opened just before the race start. Despite the downpour, he was all smiles at the start.

Defending champion Oscar Gatto leads for Cannondale in the absence of Peter Sagan, who will only arrive in Belgium on Thursday. Cannondale directeur sportif Stefano Zanatta was hopeful that Gatto could line the line well in Sagan’s absence.

There are reports of a crash in the peloton with Devolder one of the riders on the ground.

Over the Kattenberg and the leaders are holding 2'30 over the peloton. It's only the second climb of the day.

Overcast conditions for the riders at the moment as Devolder makes contact with the peloton but is forced to change a shoe. The break meanwhile have hit a short section of cobbles before they hit the Leberg.

There are a few passangers in the break though and the strongest riders are trying to force a selection.

It's GreenEdge and Movistar who are setting the tempo at the head of the peloton for now and the gap is down to 1;49 with 79km to go.

Cummings has done quite a bit of work on the front of the break as Maes comes through and does his share of the pace setting. The gap to the peloton is at 1'32 though, with 73km to go.

That's Tuft on the front of the peloton for Orica. They missed the move so the onus is on them to set the pace.

around half the riders in the lead group aren't doing any work on the front, leaving less than 10 men to set the pace. Millar comes through takes a quick turn for now.

And the leaders hit the Valkenburg with an instant attack coming from Van Emden from Belkin.

He'd made a couple of little digs earlier but this third acceleration is a far bigger test and he'll be hoping that it draws out a handful of strong, willing riders from the second group.