The Classics

T-Bob

Just a shade under 200km remaining and the break's advantage is back down to around four minutes.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first of the 17 climbs today comes just after the feedzone with the peloton taking on the Oude Kwaremont. It will be a critical point in the race as it's the first chance for a selection to be made. It's vital that the contenders are near the front and stay out of trouble. The phrase is often used, but although you can't win the race at that point, you can certainly lose it. Expect the peloton to be racing full gas into the base of the climb.

Kortekeer is the next climb. It has a smooth surface and shouldn't cause too much trouble for the riders who stayed near the front. The next two climbs - the Eikenberg and Wolvenberg - could be a different matter though and could see the peloton split. The second of those climbs has pitches of around 17 per cent so it's a possible chance for teams to throw riders up the road for later in the race.

The Kaperij and Kanarieberg both come between the 180-190km mark. There's a feedzone stuck in the middle and it's an ideal place for riders to quit the race if they've done their work or simply don't have the legs. After that the real action starts. The break should still be clear by this point but after this point ever single climb could have a major affect on the outcome of the race.

Just inside the final 60km the peloton will climb the Kwaremont for the second time but this time they'll take on the Paterberg straight after. It's another chance for riders to attack. It's a short climb but has sections at the top over 20 per cent. It's where Cancellara rode away from Sagan last year and although the winning attack won't be made this far out, there should be a major selection. For the domestiques it's about leading your man into the foot of that climb in the best possible position - in the first five riders. Any further back and you're taking a gamble.

By now the main contenders will have perhaps one or two teammates with them. If you're Boonen you might have more but the Koppenberg, Steenbeekdries, and the Taaienberg - where winning moves have gone clear before - are huddled together in the space of 10km. The first of those climbs, has a stretch of cobbles at over 20 percent.

In the race, Paolini has had a mechanical problem, and Cancellara has dropped back to the team car with radio problems. Thomas is near the front of the peloton and it looks like he was in the earlier crashes too.

The run up to the Kruisberg may see few riders make it back to the leaders but it's anyone's guess as to how many riders will still be in contention before the final climb of the Kwaremont and the Paterberg.

A quick fix for the Omega rider and he's already chasing back through the team cars. It's a chance for the bunch to spread out over the wide double lane roads but the climbs will soon be upon then. 157km go to.

And the leaders have now hit the Oude Kwaremont for the first time. All together in one long line.

It's the two Wanty riders setting the pace, Kreder is bringing up the rear of the break.

The 10 leaders have 5'18 on the peloton as the road flattens and then rises again. The peloton take a tough left-hander and the back of the bunch come to a standstill. This is where positioning is so important. It's Omega on the front at the moment. They know when it's time to hit the front.