the accident but there were no eyewitnesses we could interview."    The

driver of the car claimed he did not see the cyclist, resulting in him

hitting the man.    The cyclist suffered multiple injuries and was taken to

hospital.    Traffic in the area was reported to be backed up with peak-hour

motorists.    Sapa 

Traffic in the area was reported to be backed up with peak-hour
motorists.    Sapa 

just wondering, if traffic was backed-up surely someone saw something!Angry

For those of you who recall the protest ride organised in Durban a few weeks back, well here's something positive:

Bicycle-only lane planned for NMR Avenue

eThekwini is serious about the safety of cyclists and is to open a "training circuit" which will run along NMR Avenue, Battery Beach Road, Snell Parade and Athlone Drive. Municipal Transport Planning Manager Jelle Meintsma said the circuit would reserve road space for cyclists only.

He said the city hoped to have the circuit opened by 20 October, to  coincide with national Car Free Day. Recently, about 3 000 cyclists took to the city's streets in a memorial ride to remember Mark Hegedus and other cyclists who have died on our roads. The cyclists were also calling on the authorities to do more to improve road safety.

The training circuit is the first of a number of city projects aimed at addressing the cyclists' concerns. As a pilot exercise, signs will be put up along the circuit warning motorists to expect cyclists and exercise caution.

"We need to go on a publicity campaign advising motorists of the scheme," said Meintsma. One of the lanes on NMR Avenue will be converted into a "cyclists-only" lane from 4.30am to 6.30am, and from 4.30pm to 6pm. "There is little traffic during these periods and as it is a three-lane road, non-cyclists should not be overly inconvenienced," said Meintsma.

The Transport Planning Department was also looking at establishing a  cycling route along the tourist route from uShaka Marine World to Blue Lagoon.

The irony of the Durban "training circuit" is that road traffic legislation requires vehicles to pass other vehicles in a different lane.  Thus on NMR Avenue, the law says that no car may pass a cyclists in the same lane in any case.  The only vehicles that are exempted from that law are pedal cycles and motor cycles, who may overtake 1 other vehicle (of the same type) in the same lane.

Obviously all irrelevant as the law is not enforced and most motorists have never read the road traffic regulations.  In practical terms, it is hardly an inconvenience to expect motorists to change lanes to overtake a cyclists on a road that sees maybe 100 car in total during those off-peak times and very seldom have all lanes being used during any time other than 7.30-8.15 and 4.20-5:15.  I know that traffic is different in Joburg, but that is the reality on NMR Avenue.