Scott Spark 640 (2013) - to buy or not to buy?

rackman

Hi Guys

I'm going to buy an MTB - non technical riding i.e. forest gravel road, tracks, long distance & some mtb races .... not single track ...... to old for that!

The Scott Spark 640 dual suspension is available at a good knock down price but it is a 26", however, specs are good.

As I am quite heavy (105kg), not fat just a big guy & not so young anymore I need something that cushions the ride, I sold my hardtail 26" as I felt every bump & rut & gave up mtb as it was not enjoyable.

My question is would the 26" Scott Spark 640 work for me or should I bite the bullet & get a 29" with lower component spec? I would appreciate some good advice.

Before I bought my 650B I had a 2011 Spark 40. It really was a great bike. If you can get it for around R18k or less I would say go for it. You won't find a dual suspension bike with with the same drivetrain and suspension spec for less.

Some 29er fans will probably tell you to rather buy a big wheel hardtail but in this price range they are heavy and slow, and with budget components compared to the 640.